Antique Walnut Finish ?
Customer wants a TV console and likes the color of General Finishes Antique Walnut stain. I can build the piece from walnut, but to save lumber costs, I am thinking about trying Ash and using the GF stain.

Anyone get good results using that stain on wood, what type of wood, what else did you use with it, and how did it turn out? I will probably be spraying on a waterbase top coat.

I will be making some sample boards from ash and maybe some other wood types.
If you are using a different wood you want the grain pattern to match the wood you are imitating. I found Poplar is a good match for walnut.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(01-25-2017, 04:05 PM)MikeBob Wrote: If you are using a different wood you want the grain pattern to match the wood you are imitating. I found Poplar is a good match for walnut.

Yep, poplar grain looks more like walnut grain than ash looks like walnut.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(01-25-2017, 06:06 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Yep, poplar grain looks more like walnut grain than ash looks like walnut.

The White Ash I have worked with looks more like Red Oak. Since WA is cheap, I use it for shop projects and experiment with dyes and stains on it. I could not pass it off as Walnut. I had to make something for mom to match a Walnut Tea Cart. Just a open ended box to raise her micro wave that sits on the cart. I used Poplar with some medium brown dye and then a light Walnut Stain to match the tea cart, cant till the the difference.
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Not necessarily matching walnut grain, more of the color. She is matching different colors for her decor and likes the antique walnut color. I can use poplar, but have not had great luck staining it in the past. I am going to make up some test boards with walnut, poplar, ash, and oak this weekend and see what she likes.
(01-25-2017, 06:47 PM)Scoony Wrote: Not necessarily matching walnut grain, more of the color. She is matching different colors for her decor and likes the antique walnut color.  I can use poplar, but have not had great luck staining it in the past.  I am going to make up some test boards with walnut, poplar, ash, and oak this weekend and see what she likes.

Since this for a customer, it may be not what is correct, but what she likes, since she is writing the check and and what is pleasing to her eye.
Yes test boards are always the best, make sure you do it under the same lighting conditions as here home. I made the mistake of having cool white lighting over my finishing area, under warm light, same as sunlight, totally different look.
Smirk

I've used GF's Antique Walnut gel stain on white oak and it worked very well.  

[Image: PqkSYfHxqHuTsnNeKFvsv4GiPtPxlb2RWUhAHbG3...38-h628-no]

The handles were done with Espresso.  

John
Thanks, that looks great. Thats actually very close to what she wants, but the drawers will be open spaces for electronics for TV and stereo. The lower drawers will need pocket door hardware as they will be hiding speakers.

She has been describing in detail all the other colors she is using in the room, so I think I will give her some samples to take home.
I've never used it but I would expect excellent results being how ash takes stain very nicely.  If it's not dark enough you can always come back with an oil based gel stain for a glazing coat after the GF penetrating stain.  It would really add a lot of depth and color to the porous ash.  

I think achieving your true stain color will be easier with ash than walnut anyways.  Poplar doesn't stain evenly worth a hoot, IME, when it comes to a penetrating stain.

Scoony, I actually applied two coats of the antique walnut gel stain to that piece.  I probably sanded it to 180 or 220 grit, can't remember for sure.  Anyway, I wiped the stain on/in with a rag, then did another coat the next day.  The inside was done the same way, except for the drawers.  The finish was GF's Gel Urethane, which looks nice but is not very durable, even to water.  I don't use it anymore.  If you intend to put a WB topcoat over it, I would spray a coat of Sealcoat shellac first.

I'm assuming you are referring to GF's Antique Walnut GEL stain, correct? That's the only one I see listed as ANTIQUE. KCF's comment about penetrating stain got me to wondering.

John