For Those Wondering About Building a Wall-Mounted Tool Cabinet
(01-26-2017, 12:26 PM)AHill Wrote: There's at least $1500 in tools alone in the case.  The wood alone is easily another $200.  Considering the time spent to fit each tool and lay it out, $2700 might not be all that unreasonable.  Some of the tools aren't what I'd consider to be high quality (e.g. Craftsman saw), but most are, and they are all in excellent condition, and well-maintained.  I probably spent 40 hours making my tool cabinet.  At $40/hour, that's $1600 worth of labor alone.  (I have no idea if that's what cabinet makers charge for custom cabinets - just wagging one.)  There is some stuff in the drawers, but no close-up pics.

Since my skills consist mainly of making sawdust and wood scraps, I really have no personal experience building for sale.  All I can go on is we just had a local cabinet shop custom build a bathroom vanity from cherry.  Beautiful piece of work.  Based on what we paid for that, the cabinet without tools would probably be around $800 in this area.  As a point of reference his bid for our bath was roughly 1/3 of what the BORG estimated.  So I could see a retail furniture store charging over $1500 for it.
Nice looking tool chest.  I'm not going to get into the value question.  Doesn't seem that outrageously priced to me though.

Tool chests/boxes are very personal items.  This one does not suit me as there are a couple of places with tools stacked on top of tools. I like my tools readily accessible without having to excavate them.

I built mine some time back. All in all I'm pleased with it, but it's not anywhere as pretty as this one.
chris
I hope no one minds the slight diversion, but what tool(s) is (are) missing from the right side door?

By the way, I'm surprised to see no mallet.  It is common to use steel hammers for chisels and hooped gouges?

Just curious.

Steve
If you click the right arrow, you can see a lot more pictures with a lot of closs-ups.  Organization does seem awkward!