Interior Divided Light Doors Build Along - Part 16
Here's a link to Part 15.            

All those parts, and they still weren't enough.  Turns out I only had enough glass stops for two doors, so I made another batch and also made an astragal that I had forgotten to make.   To install the glass I cut the glass stops on my miter saw.  The plywood has tick marks on it for the different length stops required.  Still, there are small differences in nearly every part so each part was tested and custom fit. 

[Image: 4e1Li-ujuc2oTYIUnom1ayPsYdOBWt5uBSyotZBm...38-h628-no]

I dry fit all the glass stops in a door, then went back and installed the glass panes. 

[Image: OW56F4lfrMfehKsyNkGi2C9CIPVJ91VrPh2OJHqx...38-h628-no]

Each pane is set in a few small dabs of silicone to prevent rattling.

[Image: Rw6u5lXIa8uPshykyhsCaFWzyOIbtD7GrnKEtnln...38-h628-no]

Then the glass stops are replaced and pin nailed in place.

[Image: dg86VCHBDf9itEFfArZH4nus4KDm7QCS7BAkR09F...38-h628-no]

[Image: zma83Np12FFnj-YVkz8yTDKaeltIg1Xp3277bRja...38-h628-no]

I did the rectangular door first.

[Image: tyoesGgIkFxi7Q8-IlbNGnig88MXZ8v0ux36l8Pm...71-h628-no]

The panes are tempered of course as they need to be for passage doors.  This is etched in each pane to prove it.

[Image: jSPza8Z3_w6JAFko72H4Pc_zzxpUEQbVMQ_zA7Bk...38-h628-no]

And here are the arched doors. 

[Image: ViabCaqUCnJ4Yt7kiIP4SP1ZDtzw7msL-lW6Ett1...71-h628-no]

[Image: gVQardgfyRkSgGIIGWGYTNjSSIsFGPpF856fCpBY...38-h628-no]

I forgot to take a photo on the door stop side.  Fitting the curved door stops was rather painstaking work.  I rough cut them with a hand saw and then tuned them to final length and angle using my belt/disk sander.  I'll have to take a photo or two because the acute angles look really cool.

Lots of little things to do to get ready for the install next week, but the doors are done as far as I can take them prior to that.  Time to clean up. 

Thanks for following along. 

John
Beautiful work John! 
Yes

Doug
Fantastic work, really going to look nice once assembled/installed.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Jten

1. Not wanting to be nosy but was wondering if you would say what this project is costing your customers? Your craftsmanship is amazing and I can't even imagine  tackling a project like this. 
(01-27-2017, 10:01 AM)Randy C Wrote: Jten

1. Not wanting to be nosy but was wondering if you would say what this project is costing your customers? Your craftsmanship is amazing and I can't even imagine  tackling a project like this. 

Thanks for the kind words.  And don't sell yourself short.  I had never built a set of arched doors before I built these.  It's been challenging, but so are most worthwhile projects.  I will say, I've had good advise along the way and that's helped avoid major blunders.  

As for the price, all I'll say is "Not enough !". 

John
(01-26-2017, 08:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The panes are tempered of course as they need to be for passage doors.  This is etched in each pane to prove it.

[Image: jSPza8Z3_w6JAFko72H4Pc_zzxpUEQbVMQ_zA7Bk...38-h628-no]

John, I see a little silicone squeeze out
Big Grin

They look great.

The door build would have been challenging enough for me.  What I find most amazing, and I think I read it right, is that you didn't have the glass pieces until the end.  You sent tracings of the openings to the shop and they only shipped you back the glass by the time you were nearly done.  I am always missing one little (critical) detail when I'm making something complicated and this would have been it.  My templates for sure would have been the wrong size.  Or the glass would have come back and the "rainfall" was going sideways.
Yep, that's a bit of silicone.  I learned real fast that you only want a tiny dab or it will squeeze out like that.  A little work with a razer blade will take care of the squeeze outs. 

I made the doors before I ordered the glass.  That way I had the final dimensions needed.  I had a couple of phone calls with Wolverine, one of which included making sure they knew the rain pattern had to fall in the long direction of the panes.  The only templates were for the top, curved panes.

There is over $1300 worth of glass in the 3 doors.  A mistake on my part would have been expensive.  

John
John,

Thank you for these posts. I found the process fascinating and your skill is inspirational.

Hank
Great work! I love the details the stops add to the window frames. I've really enjoyed this build along.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill