Drum Sander Pricing
I have the SuperMax 19/38 and like it very much.

I don't use it everyday, but when I do it's the "the right tool for the job."

As stated before it is a sander NOT a planer.
I think my saying both wide sanders and planers benefiting from in and out tables was misconstrued to make it appear I think a planer and a wide sander are the same. Not, and I agree with John's thought taking off too much at a pass is likely another top 3 reasons for folks saying they can't get theirs to ................
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've always liked having the infield and outfield tables on the Sanders. Otherwise if you're not quick to get around to the other side the stock falls on the floor. I've also use the reversing units where I run the piece back-and-forth on the wood masters until I get it to the final thickness. While these are Sanders and not planers you can use them to sand to final thickness....you just don't want to take very much off.

To me the ideal machine would be the wood master 50 inch where you can put half of the drum for one grit and the other half of the drum for a second grit. Then you don't have to change any paper. But it takes a lot of space and a lot of money to get that machine.
I was thinking of getting it myself . I already have a woodmaster 18" soooo..
probably won't last long
Bet he'll take a grand
A lot closer

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Years back I picked up the Grizzly 18" sander. Put a lot of boards through it and can second that you do not get a lot of material off in a hurry. I like to try and keep a little higher grit on it as I find even with good abrasives that if you are 100 on the drum sander, it will take 80 on a ROS to take out those sanding marks.

Typically I will have 120 grit on there and find if I keep the feed rate right and slow passes I don't end up with burn marks or deep scratches and really enjoy the machine for that.

HOWEVER, since getting some Festool sanders I find I use it a lot less as those sanders can really get the job done in a hurry. I have a couple of Rotex that will do the job that used to take hours on stripping to minutes literally.

My dream sander will be a dual drum and at least 24" wide, a few years after the kids are gone will make that upgrade.

And the dust collection is a understatement, full Cyclone is needed my Jet Canister even with a Thiel plate would plug up on long sanding jobs.
You can flatten other ways for segmented turning, but a drum sander is what you want to save you a lot of aggravation and elbow grease.
Don
I went over to the Local Woodcraft today and they had a Supermax 19-38 on the floor right when you walked in the door.  Just as a few of you have said, it is built sturdy and I was impressed with the look and feel of the machine.  I was surprised to see that the conveyor belt is actually an abrasive material itself.  I would have guessed they were more of a rubberized material.  I didn't walk out the door with it though ($1399 + 6% tax would put it at nearly $1500).

I was tooling around online this evening and saw an ad for Acme Tools which I've ordered from in the past.  They had it for the same $1399 ... however, No tax, No shipping with lift-gate service included ... and they're having a sale that ends this evening and got an extra $50 off.  Out the door so to say for $1349.

Although I say it's for the wife, I'm sure we'll both get some use out of it.  Thank you all for your input.
(01-28-2017, 07:02 AM)frigator Wrote: <snip>
To me the ideal machine would be the wood master 50 inch where you can put half of the drum for one grit and the other half of the drum for a second grit. Then you don't have to change any paper. But it takes a lot of space and a lot of money to get that machine.
I have the single drum 38" Woodmaster and typically that's what I do: put different grits on 1/2 the drum.

No 'feed tables tho..the WM already has a big footprint.

Like others have said the sander gets used infrequently but earns its keep.  I paid $300 for it used from a cabinet shop - which I recognize was a crazy good price.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(01-28-2017, 08:24 PM)cams2705 Wrote: I went over to the Local Woodcraft today and they had a Supermax 19-38 on the floor right when you walked in the door.  Just as a few of you have said, it is built sturdy and I was impressed with the look and feel of the machine.  I was surprised to see that the conveyor belt is actually an abrasive material itself.  I would have guessed they were more of a rubberized material.  I didn't walk out the door with it though ($1399 + 6% tax would put it at nearly $1500).

I was tooling around online this evening and saw an ad for Acme Tools which I've ordered from in the past.  They had it for the same $1399 ... however, No tax, No shipping with lift-gate service included ... and they're having a sale that ends this evening and got an extra $50 off.  Out the door so to say for $1349.

Although I say it's for the wife, I'm sure we'll both get some use out of it.  Thank you all for your input.

I think Rockler's deal included the in and out feed tables free. Check to see if you are getting them through Acme. otherwise they cost 100 bux, and they are worth every cent of that. You could build something, but on mine they fit like a dream, and easily make the tool 50% more usable, especially on bigger stock, and panels.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW