Ohio Forge 644-102 Table Saw - Loud
Hello!  I'm new to the forum, first post!

I am an amateur at woodworking, having primarily only built a couple of small projects.  I received a small table saw (Ohio Forge 644-102, 1987, 2.5HP) from a friend a few years back.  I stored it away without using it, and pulled it back out just yesterday to get a look at it.  Did a little bit of research, and though I couldn't find any documentation on the specific model, I understand other saws of the same brand/era are pretty much beginner models.

It is obvious the saw was "rode hard and put up wet", as it doesn't appear to have been cleaned in forever, and the adjustment knobs are fairly worn out.  I cleaned and greased the saw height adjustment parts, and it is moving freely now.  For the angle adjuster, many of the adjustment teeth are broken, which means I'll just have to do my best to adjust by moving the motor manually and cinching down.  These issues are issues I can work around for the time-being.

What I have a question about is the level of noise emanating from the motor.  It's a lot louder than my Dewalt circular saw, and sounds kind of rough.  The motor feels a little bit stiff when I manually turn the shaft (not seriously), but there doesn't appear to be play in the bearings or shaft, which is good, I think.  It ripped a 2x4 cleanly without any issues.  Is there anything I can do about the noise?
Very likely its a direct drive, universal motor saw. They are loud, no getting around that.  Eventually if your hobby develops, you'll be in the market for a belt driven saw, there the decibel level drops dramatically.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-27-2017, 09:08 AM)Admiral Wrote: Very likely its a direct drive, universal motor saw. They are loud, no getting around that.  Eventually if your hobby develops, you'll be in the market for a belt driven saw, there the decibel level drops dramatically.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

This is basically what I figured.  I'm hoping it will quiet down a bit after some further use.

Thanks!
Don't bet on it!  
Laugh   It's the nature of the beast, especially the "cheap" saws, like the one you have.  But the price was right, $0 ...... so have at it!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
What he said. I had one similar years ago, loud and crude. Don't be discouraged if your results are not as accurate as you hoped for but it provides a chance to 'dip your toe in the water' at no cost. Just bear in mind that this ain't as good as it gets.