tree fall go boom
The arborist got done the removal today and wow.  The lot is a significantly more sparse.... It will be interesting to see the impact in the summer and the temperatures in the house with significantly les tree cover.

We talked about him hauling the trunk out the street for slabbing.  He didn't have a means to do that.  Oh well.

Saying all that, maybe I can grow some grass in the backyard now!

I'll post some photos over the weekend.
chris
Does that mean the log is still in your yard waiting for a sawmill to come to it...or did he cut it into movable chunks?

It is fairly normal for arborists to not have the HP to move stuff that big. That is not a "normal" need and it is not cheap to own the equipment required.
When we had the trees taken down a year ago, we had a very tough time finding anyone who would get rid if the wood. Of the ten trees, only one was oak and two were poplar. The rest were sweetgum. These were all pretty big trees, the smallest was about 36" dia at the base. It would be close to 5 grand to have it hauled away. A front end loader and three dump trucks is what we were told. We finally found someone cheaper but he called at the last minute and said he couldn't find anyone to take the sweetgum which was most of the wood. Sweetgum in particularly is extremely heavy (wet) and worthless. They don't even want it for mulch because it rots so fast. I couldn't get a sawyer to call me back. It took me several days to move it all into the woods behind the house where it will rot.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(01-31-2017, 10:21 PM)JosephP Wrote: Does that mean the log is still in your yard waiting for a sawmill to come to it...or did he cut it into movable chunks?

It is fairly normal for arborists to not have the HP to move stuff that big.  That is not a "normal" need and it is not cheap to own the equipment required.

Nope.  The tree was in the middle of the yard, which is fairly large.  The folks who I contacted about slabbing the trunk said it had to be at the curb.  Moving it was on me.  I have no way of doing that without killing myself and/or making a big honking mess.

The arborist cut the trunk up in sections and carted it off into his truck parked on the walkway next to the house. Here are some photo's after the cleanup.

chris