The Woodworker: Volume II impressions
I was able to borrow the Lost Art Press publication of "The Woodworker: The Charles H. Hayward Years, Vol. II". --Tools andTechniques--[Breathe. Long title.] Volume I has a lengthy waiting list for checkout, and it may be a couple months before my hold is answered. If it was my book, I would fold corners, rip stickies, and double the paper thickness. But it's not, and I don't make critical note stickies. 

First, this is a 3-pound, 6 ounce book too big for normal library shelves, but certainly suited to Christopher Schwarz' set of Jefferson shelves, had you made them. It took me a while to find it in the holds section, under slick coffee table photo compendiums. For someone with progressive arthritis and nerve damage, it's not a good choice for bedtime reading. It kept me awake (pain) or would have been destroyed by a nose bleed. It took a while to recover feeling and comfort in both arms after shoving it to the bed table. Sitting to read is not an option, for the same reasons.

Just being nit-picky. Never combine reflective silver and green colors. Gold will pop your eyeballs. Silver disappears. Sorry Chris. But mine was an oblique view while spinning the book for front-and-top. Head-on helps the color contrast, if the thing is firmly gripped. Contrary to my impressions of modernized style expression--Moser's take on Shaker, for example--I was quite drawn to a 1950's table design. It looked very 21st Century. It's back in Drafting--my stickies were misplaced. Generally, the connection of figures to article text was not so clear and prolonged translation confusion.

The republication of a British magazine will warm hearts on the east side of the Atlantic. Is that West Coast UK? I am left with puzzlement over fillets, stomach cramps, and chemical concoctions at the Stockist and drug store. Until now, it never occurred to question tallow on my tools. I suppose beeswax is full of sweat and organic acids also. 

To conclude, many will find delightfully quaint expressions among interesting and informative handwork procedures, especially when limited by tool inventory. I suppose, if there was room to collect more--and I was not in dispose mode--the Woodworker collection could be a fun addition to my future Jefferson library shelves. At the moment, the county library has room until all copies are stolen.

HBMcC 1/2017