Some recent work
Would somebody just come and take my tools - after looking at that I quit! Those are beautiful.
(01-28-2017, 05:20 PM)jcredding Wrote: Would somebody just come and take my tools - after looking at that I quit!  Those are beautiful.

Yep, what he said. The third one has to be my favorite. Or maybe the Mary, or wait. I CAN'T DECIDE. :
Smile      Beautiful work as always.
BontzSawWorks.net
Love the color of that tall 2 door cupboard/wardrobe/TV center? But as usual a bunch of home runs.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(01-28-2017, 08:13 AM)Joel H. Wrote: Some absolutely beautiful work Dave - goes naturally with you I must add.  That tiger maple commode is my favorite, just fantastic.  The round door holds placed in the lower rail is something I'll try - looks much better than the magnetic ones I've been using.  And I have to say the adjustable shelves are remarkable!

Joel

Joel, that is a ball catch. I get mine from Horton Brass but quite a few places have different versions of them. I use them when people don't want a key or twist knob to open. That piece was a for a hallway and was going to be used by kids so the ball catch was the best option. 

John, right now I'm working on a set of chairs and giving your mortiser a workout. I am making a set of three stools very similar to the stools pictured below. You will notice in the photo that almost none of the joints are 90 deg. so the angle attachment is getting a workout. 

photo BA6E6D09-9AE9-474B-894F-9DC7097723EC_zpsypnie0uh.jpg

photo 77E2FA1D-BC65-4E48-980E-360E4D58D17E_zps1oywzso4.jpg
Inspirational! What is the finish on that curly/tiger maple piece?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
The finish is an anline dye followed by oil, dewaxed shellac and a top coat of lacquer. It is a stand finish I use on most of my curly pieces. Depending on the customer some pieces are just shellac without the lacquer. The key is starting with good material.
Dave,
How are you ageing your popular?
(01-29-2017, 08:21 AM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: Dave,
How are you ageing your popular?

I use a two part chemical solution that Kwik Kleen made before they went out o business. I'm not sure what part one is but part two has an ammonia base. Part one is only used on light colored woods. Part 2 works very similar to potassium dichromate. On the drawer parts I used walnut crystals.
Dave, I trust the mortiser is up to the task for those stool joints.  I like the design of those stools, although I've never been a fan of the tractor seat design.  And I really like how the top stretchers curve so that the mortises line up at or close to 90° at the legs.  Are you making thru tenons like in the photo? 

John
I do love when you post your work, Dave...
Yes

Beautiful stuff!
Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."