Enjoyable HNT Gordon documentary, making planes
I stumbled onto this and I really like all the wood, tools, scrapers, vises, jigs, patience, beauty, etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvg6Wq0T-8

Chris
Chris
Neato!
Smile
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I like the part where he puts the kiln dried blanks into the storage room, then it says "6 months later" and he retrieves the blanks wearing the same clothes he had on 6 months ago.  The entire video and the guy is wearing the same shirt and the same shorts.  Nevertheless, a very interesting video that shows the craftsmanship that goes into one of his planes.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-29-2017, 12:32 AM)AHill Wrote: I like the part where he puts the kiln dried blanks into the storage room, then it says "6 months later" and he retrieves the blanks wearing the same clothes he had on 6 months ago.  The entire video and the guy is wearing the same shirt and the same shorts.  Nevertheless, a very interesting video that shows the craftsmanship that goes into one of his planes.

Allan, Terry only owns a single pair of shorts and one shirt.
Smile

That aside, he is a good bloke and makes terrific planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I like the video, thanks for sharing. The one shirt is green and has a print plane mad. The first has not. Not that i care, what he wears.
I have never seen anyone use that type of scraper, in that manner before -- let alone, that adroitly.
I really enjoy a card scraper, and have recommended the Bahco carbide scraper to several people. 
But that "pushing a chisel" action is cool.
That tool is simply hardened steel honed at 90 degrees, right?
That is a technique developed by Bill Carter: http://www.billcarterwoodworkingplanemak...ff-chisel/

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I thought Carter hardened the steel of the repurposed scraper-chisels? He doesn't indicate that in the Techniques Page. It has been a while since visiting his site which has gone through a remodel.
Great video.  Thanks for posting.