Project for kids reccomendation
Hi All,

Still a regular lurker, still really value the this message board.

I need some project ideas for 7th and 8th graders.  I teach a woodshop class in a middle school.  Usually our progression is tool tote, birdhouse and then cutting board.  Most of the students who start next week have made the tool tote already and I need ideas for what they should make.

I need project ideas that include measuring, cutting, screwed butt joints and maybe a bit of scroll/bandsawing.  I don't need plans although they would help just ideas.  I can find/draft anything I need.

What would be a good starter project that kids may like to have?  I welcome your ideas and will post some pictures of what they end up making.

Thanks for you help,

John Chernoff
Follow along on the instantgram:  room_23_woodworks
Maybe a small spice rack or a knife holder.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
(01-28-2017, 11:32 AM)jcstudge Wrote: Hi All,

Still a regular lurker, still really value the this message board.

I need some project ideas for 7th and 8th graders.  I teach a woodshop class in a middle school.  Usually our progression is tool tote, birdhouse and then cutting board.  Most of the students who start next week have made the tool tote already and I need ideas for what they should make.

I need project ideas that include measuring, cutting, screwed butt joints and maybe a bit of scroll/bandsawing.  I don't need plans although they would help just ideas.  I can find/draft anything I need.

What would be a good starter project that kids may like to have?  I welcome your ideas and will post some pictures of what they end up making.

Thanks for you help,

John Chernoff
What about updating those classics to more current household needs.  Could you build some kind of Iphone accessory?  Maybe a charging station type thing, or what about one of those accoustic applified speaker things...?
(01-28-2017, 01:30 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: What about updating those classics to more current household needs.  Could you build some kind of Iphone accessory?  Maybe a charging station type thing, or what about one of those accoustic applified speaker things...?

Definitely make a phone speaker amplifier.  Have a few different styles & stains for the kids to choose from.  Relevant & useful.
When I took woodshop in school I remember our teacher teaching us how to build a lamp with our initials as the main part of the lamp. 40 years later and I can still remember what mine looked like...not sure what happened to it.
I like to let Google be my guide.

12 year old kids woodshop projects

13 year old kids woodshop projects

14 year old kids woodshop projects

I was 12 in the 8th grade, and had been woodworking for 3 years a lot already, so in shop class I only went in the 9th grade (Freshman year). I was bored with what was offered, so I changed classes from shop to business management, and TYPING (GIRLS  
Big Grin ). A lot of kids did exactly what I did. Up your game.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
In wood shop in junior high, I remember making bookends and a wood pump lamp. The bookends were the profile of a dog cut in half with vertical boards screwed to the end of the dog half. The wood pump lamp had a vertical post maybe 1.5" or 2" square in cross section attached to a base. There was also a long lever handle that the pull chain for the light was attached to.
TV or snack tray might be and optional project that would get used

I also lie the charging station, and if you have the funds you could make it with a small solar panel as an optional charger...

Andy-- mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum
A step stool is another useful household item. You can make them as elaborate as you like (there's a Ben Franklin version I've been eyeing that converts to a chair--a bit much for a Jr. High class).
I think the convertible stool/chair is attainable for Jr High.
Popular woodworking ran one in their I can Do that column:
  I Can Do That: Step Stool

Stilts, boomerangs, electric guitar bodies, catapults, ....  whatever interests them.

Matt