Garage Door: Torsion Spring vs. Extension Spring
There should be a safety cable that passes thru the extension spring that contains it if it breaks. If you don't have that on your doors and a professional installer did it shame on him for doing an improper job.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
(01-29-2017, 01:11 PM)DAlanBienlein Wrote: There should be a safety cable that passes thru the extension spring that contains it if it breaks. If you don't have that on your doors and a professional installer did it shame on him for doing an improper job.

Oh, of course. I think it might be code in NJ as everyone has them; that, or installers are afraid of lawsuits.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-29-2017, 01:11 PM)AlanBienlein Wrote: There should be a safety cable that passes thru the extension spring that contains it if it breaks. If you don't have that on your doors and a professional installer did it shame on him for doing an improper job.

Exactly.
I have torsion springs on my warehouse. One broke. It has 2 springs. The door prolly weighs over 300lbs. 
And to heck with them being safer. One spring broke while I was opening it. The door came crashing down. It missed me by inches.
(01-29-2017, 06:03 PM)Woodjets Wrote: Exactly.
I have torsion springs on my warehouse. One broke. It has 2 springs. The door prolly weighs over 300lbs. 
And to heck with them being safer. One spring broke while I was opening it. The door came crashing down. It missed me by inches.

Yes, if the door is up when the spring lets go, there's potential for injury with either. However the extension springs have additional hazards, even if the door is down wehn it lets go.

Torsion spring hazards:

Door might fall on you if it's open when the spring breaks.

Extension spring hazards:

Door might fall on you if it's open when the spring breaks.

and

pieces of flying spring might take you out, even if the door is closed.
(01-28-2017, 01:16 PM)Admiral Wrote: I'm not considering DIY, going to hire installation out.  Bid I got has torsion spring option for an additional $35; I've always had the side extension spring version.  Is it worth the dough to go with torsion spring?  thx.

I DIYed mine, but would probably hire it out if I did it again - the 30% or so cost savings was not really worth it.

I went with extension springs for cost and safety reasons, but either is fine.  I don't see any real benefit to one over the other.  The "safety issues" others have cited for extension springs must have been on really old installs - extension springs have safety wires through them and don't "explode" the way torsion springs do.  If you are going to maintain the door yourself, extension springs are safer and easier to adjust - and also much less expensive to replace if they do break.  When you hear about people being injured or killed when adjusting garage door springs, it's the torsion springs they are adjusting - they are always under some tension.  With extension springs, the tension is released when the door is fully up, so they springs can be safely and easily adjusted or replaced.