Best tool to cut plexiglass

Right around 5:25, he cuts the acrylic on the band saw and then runs it through the joiner.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
For adolescents with "NO experience in using power tools", a jigsaw with a plexiglass-specific blade sounds best to me.  If they will need a precise and cleaner cut, I agree with clamping it subsequently into a jig for use with a router and flush-trim bit. The person monitoring their jigsaw use will have an easier job than the one monitoring the router.
Thanks all for the recommendations.   I'll try the Bosh plexiglass jigsaw blade on a scrap piece and report out.   The piece to be cut is too wide for a bandsaw and my table saw is put away for the winter.  Shop is closed for the winter and both cars are in the garage.  

Dave
i always score it with a sharp box cutter and snap it off, made lots of picture frames like that,clean cut too. use my straight edge to assure clean break.
(01-31-2017, 07:31 AM)Sawdustd Wrote:  I'll try the Bosh plexiglass jigsaw blade on a scrap piece and report out.   

Dave

If you have to stop in the cut back the saw up a little before stopping and be careful on startup -- the chips, etc can cool and weld blade in place and a too-abrupt start can break the acrylic.

I found that a faster blade speed made for small chips that flew out of the way.

Good luck!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)