Staples vs nails.
which holds better in the following scenarios:

- attaching 7/16" OSB to KD 2x4".

-attaching 1x4 white wood furring strips to 4x4 PT.

Currently using 7/16" x 1-1/2" staples on the OSB to 2x4 and 3" nails on the strips to 4x4.
As long as the staples are rated for pressure treated wood they would have the best holding strength 

If they are not rated then PT rated nails would be the better choice 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Staples hold better.
Wood is good. 
I would never use staples. Then a few years ago I was doing a very large redwood project for a friend, he required staples.  By the time I finished the job, I was a believer!  He furnished staples and gun so I still don't know how to choose staples.  More than once I had to remove a board and in every case I was amazed at how difficult it was to remove the staple.

The right staple is better than ring shank nails at least in my one experience.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I use staples exclusively now for attaching 1/4" hardboard or 1/4" ply to backs of carcases.  They DO hold better than nails, and you don't have to worry about the staple running wild on you.  I have nail-attached hardboard on some of my carcases where the nails are already pulling out.  Not so with my staples.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks for all the responses!

Between the input given on this forum and other sources and personal testing, I feel staples are the way to go for our needs.

JGrout did make an excellent comment about use in pressure-treated lumber. That is something I did not think about.

It will be moot in this scenario as the crates are "one-way" and won't be stored for long.