plane grinding
As most of you know the mold shop I retired from still lets me use their surface grinder, but the other person that uses it is retiring the first of April. He does the injection molding for the company. The rest of the work the company does is blow molding, vacuum forming, as well as pattern making.

CNC machining is the order of the day for that type of work and there is no need for a surface grinder. I do not know if they will keep it or sell it because of space demands. He may also just keep it for, if ever one is needed he will have one. At this point I have no idea what will happen after April first.

So if you are considering having any of you planes ground by me I would do so in the near future.

I always enjoy seeing the people I worked with, and I also like operating a surface grinder so I view this with mixed emotions. It was a good run while it lasted.

PM me if interested and I can give you pricing. I can list them here, but the thread will get lost in the background in a couple of days.

Tom
Any chance you have the room, ability to move/rig, the desire, and service conversion for one of your own Tom? Machinery scrap yards typically have many of them, especially in larger city areas like the west chicago suburbs (Rayco). I've also seen several on craigslist.

Could you do the work jigged on a 1050 cnc knee mill with the right head? I turned 6061 into a polished mirror finish with a face mill cutter.

What is the price to do a bedrock #8 corrugated?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have used an indexed face mill on a big plate of steel, and it does leave a really nice surface.  Surface grinder is better though.
That will be a loss for the community.

I have about 3 planes that I would like you to do your magic on, maybe 4. 

I noticed that your website is gone, so I have no way of looking up your pricing again. 

Also - one of the planes is a #8 C Bedrock. A previous owner drilled 2 holes into the sole for a fence. They are now closed with unknown material. Is that going to be a problem for you?

Thanks!
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo (Sinatra)
I did not say I couldn't grind after April 1st. What I said is: at this point I do not know what will happen after April 1st. And I don't even know how much thought the owner has put into it as of yet. I am just preparing for the worst case scenario. Hopefully everything will remain the same, and I hope so, BUT.

If there could be a flood coming and I prepare for it, and it doesn't come, I can rejoice and if it does come then hopefully  I will not have any, or as much, damage because I  prepared for it in advance.

That is al I am saying.

Tom
I have a flat side 608 & 605 that I can send this week. How much is it, where do they need to shipped to, and do you accept PayPal payments?
I have a #3 that I've been wanting Tom to work on for me, Looks like I might better stop thinking, and start acting. If you're willing to post your price list here Tom, that'd be great, or PM me directly with your price to grind a #3. Thanks
~ Chris
As I stated in the original post.

PM me if interested and I can give you pricing. I can list them here, but the thread will get lost in the background in a couple of days.

I may never read this post again.

Tom
(01-31-2017, 10:19 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: I may never read this post again.

Tom

You're not kidding about being prepared for any possible bad outcome, huh?

Smile