Gluing plywood together
When gluing veneers to plywood, a veneer is glued to both sides, keeping the layer count odd, for stability.  When gluing two pieces of plywood together, the odd layer count x2 = an even layer count.  I know it works well, but what is the difference between the two scenarios?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I consider the two glued faces which are thinner than the core stock to be one piece once laminated 

So the ply count is odd still 

Unless it mattered and you could not live by the above you could just turn one piece perpendicular to the other and glue  or sand one veneer off though I really would just consider the two faces to be one first ;
Wink as above 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Don't think of individual plys, but as a stabilized whole.  That is, each piece of ply is stable, and of course we know we can glue two pieces of stable material to each other and not have to worry.
I have glued many pieces of ply face to face with the grain running in the same direction. I've never had a problem. Most of the time, it was for a jig or fixture that sees heavy use in a commercial environment and never had a failure. You should be good.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
For me it has been for hard used work tables, and tool stands to make up a piece of 1 1/2" thick plywood. I've never given a consideration to grain direction, but probably they are mostly with grain orientation just because most of them have been 4x8' sometimes ripped down to 24" wide, flipped and glue together, screws on the non show side for clamps, screws removed after a day. I've never had an issue with separation, or any other problem. Most of them have had a bunch of 3/4" holes drilled through them for dogs, and clamps. As long as you taper out a hole with a router bit so they don't flare up, no issues with making holes in the glue ups either.

I agree with Phil you don't need to treat it like solid wood, which can still have seasonal movement, and needing to have what ever you do to one side, also done to the other for equilibrium of moisture. Ply is cross laminated, and you can consider it stable.

All that said, unless you want to see the ply lamination's MDF is a better substrate for using veneer.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW