I think it would be a great idea if we start
doing some build alongs with the projects we do.  It has been done in the past and it sure would be nice now.

Just before and after each stage and how and what you used.
I know it is kind of hard once we get started but I really thing it would not only give all of us knowledge of how you do things but newbies how to as well.

The next time I am going out to the garage I will start doing this as well.

What do you think

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
sounds like a good idea Mr. Arlin, but I'm pretty new to turnin' myself. I'm really not into turnin' bowls. I use mine to incorporate turnings with my scroll work. I don't have a lot of fancy tools, just the basics. Most of the time when I get a piece of wood in the lathe, I let it "talk to me" & we decide what it wants to be to go along something I've scrolled. I don't do a lot of turning, but I like your thinking!
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
(01-29-2017, 05:53 PM)sawdust703 Wrote: sounds like a good idea Mr. Arlin, but I'm pretty new to turnin' myself. I'm really not into turnin' bowls. I use mine to incorporate turnings with my scroll work. I don't have a lot of fancy tools, just the basics. Most of the time when I get a piece of wood in the lathe, I let it "talk to me" & we decide what it wants to be to go along something I've scrolled. I don't do a lot of turning, but I like your thinking!

Nothing wrong with your idea,we all started off with little experience.People often ask how do you come up with your ideas and my answer is like yours,I let the wood talk to me.Several of the turners here do scroll work as well and also carving,which gets incorperated into the turning.Pepper mills and salt mills are one thing,I turn.Turn one with no plan and then turn an identical one or as close as you can. Just keep practicing,have fun and be careful.You don't need fancy tools.Do some turning and post some pics.Good luck and check and see if there is a turning club near you,they love to help out.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Good idea!  I've been meaning to take more progress pictures.
(01-29-2017, 05:53 PM)sawdust703 Wrote: sounds like a good idea Mr. Arlin, but I'm pretty new to turnin' myself. I'm really not into turnin' bowls. I use mine to incorporate turnings with my scroll work. I don't have a lot of fancy tools, just the basics. Most of the time when I get a piece of wood in the lathe, I let it "talk to me" & we decide what it wants to be to go along something I've scrolled. I don't do a lot of turning, but I like your thinking!

First welcome to turning forum since I do not remember telling you before this.

You are like a lot of us and that is one of the reasons I want to do this. 

First I can say I have never heard the wood talk to me.  A lot of the time I have something planed with the wood and then I forget that I have it.  Then later in time I might make a lidded box instead of a bowl or maybe a vase or whatever suits my fancy.

What I do tho is start the project and many times stand back to look at it and add or take off or whatever my eye says looks nice.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

well mr. arlin, I've been woodworking 20+ years now, and am self taught. A good friend once told me in the beginning to just let the wood talk to you & it'll tell you what it wants to be. I thought the fella lost his mind! But as a beginner, I was always in a hurry. I was still trucking then. And trying to learn. As the years have went by, & I've worked with different types of wood, I have slowed down considerably. I'll take a scroll pattern to my wood room, sit there with it, studying the wood I have on hand. I let the wood help me decide what it wants to be.

I make dream catchers, napkin holders, etc., most anything on the scroll saw. And I use rough cut lumber. I cut my own feathers for the dream catchers. I have a fb page under Sawdust Haven if you're interested in havin' a look see. But I've learned over time that the wood will talk to you. As crazy as it may sound, it's true. If you just take the time to listen. And thank you for the welcome, Sir, and service to our country.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
I have a lot to learn from turning even after 8 years and hope I continue to learn.

Sometimes I spend alot of time doin' research before I get to the shop, Mr. Arlin. Most of my work centers around Native American pieces because that's where my interest is, & I'm part Cherokee. Since I'm no longer trucking, I've got time to study different types of wood, & the looks, finishes, etc. I've learned with scrolling that I won't start a piece until I figure out the look I want. 

Sometimes I'll take several different types of wood like walnut, cherry, oak, poplar, red oak, maybe even beetle kill pine & glue them together, run them through the planer down to 3/16" & cut feathers out of that glue up. I may cut a dream catcher, or other piece out of cherry, walnut, oak, or even barn wood, who knows. It depends on what the wood & piece decide on. Sometimes it may take a little time, but the decision gets made. 

I've been turning about two years now. I'm self taught there, too. I am learning, piece by piece, what the wood has to say about itself. Turning has been an amazing learning trail, & I still have lots to learn.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
Sounds like a good idea Arlin.
Rodney