Dealing with Mortising chips?
This is basic woodworking 101. You do not want the workpiece springing back. In fact you want it positioned such that the impact is taken directly over the workbench leg and into the floor.
Wood is good. 
I found a link to what I mentioned earlier in this thread.

http://www.rockler.com/kreg-automaxx-tm-...amp-system
(01-31-2017, 02:58 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: This is basic woodworking 101. You do not want the workpiece springing back. In fact you want it positioned such that the impact is taken directly over the workbench leg and into the floor.

Over the leg is great.

But again, an old dishtowel as a pad is NOT going to cause any kind of springback.  Unless you have dishtowels made of memory-foam or something.  Why are your dishtowels so bouncy?

Easy to test of this for yourself.  Get a piece of wood that will dent easily.  Pine or poplar is fine.  Make a 2" x 2" stick, maybe 12" long.  Layout a couple of mortises at each end.  Sharpen the mortise chisel and chop two with no pad.  Sharpen the mortise chisel, turn the piece around and chop two with an old dishtowel as the pad.  Count the number of strikes, being honest in the test and using the same mallet force the whole time.  Clean away chips in whatever manner you normally would with the no-towel.  Using the towel, all you do is slide it off the bench and shake.

Examine the back side for damage from the bench including scratches and not just dents.  A swipe of cheap oil stain will highlight the damage.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
sounds like experience talking.  I love when people offer up practical and "proven" ideas, even if they aren't popular amongst forumites.

Thanks for sharing.

I would also blaspheme and mention that I sometimes chop them with the work held in the face vise.  For more delicate pieces, or smaller mortises, it's easier for me to chop in the vise than on the bench.
Rob,  your #2 is a great suggestion!  Thanks!
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

(01-30-2017, 11:14 AM)Alan S Wrote: Maybe if you contact Lee valley, they'll make something for a chisel analogous to this plane accessory:
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...75235&ap=1

Wow...you had me there for a minute.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I have had similar problems working with soft wood such as pine and butternut.  I learned to keep a clean bench and sometimes put down a cloth or something soft to cushion the work piece from damage.
I just use the edge of the leg to 'scrape' away any chips that might be there. I put the corner down near the front of the bench and push it back a few inches along the bench top. This moves any debris to out of where I need to clamp. Takes about 5 seconds. I've never had any trouble with dents in my work piece...although I've never worked with cedar.

I must've missed that Lee Valley April Fools plane shroud. I actually think it would be a darn good idea. I hate sweeping up plane shavings!
-Marc