When the levy of self control breaks...FESTOOL!
I have a great friend who a number of years ago got laid off.  It was a rough, rough 6-7 years for a man in his early mid-50's.  He was fiscally conservative but nevertheless darn near lost his marriage, house, everything.  The guy has a neurological disease that is severely aggravated by stress and for which the 'keep it under control' meds are extremely expensive even with insurance.

But this guy has enormous reserves of what can only be called true grit.  As his wife (who thank God decided to stay) says, "he's found himself surprisingly able to make the vertical climb".  His hobby was investing and over these few years he managed to turn that hobby into a thriving private-investment firm with a few big whales.  2015 was his first "thank God, we can afford to eat " year.  Last year was a good year, a very good year for him.

I get the call this last week that just warmed my heart.  "Hey Joe, I want you come over to the house here soon, I've got something to show you!"  "What's that?" I say.  "I bought something!"  me: "okay.....keep talking".

Turns out he bought one of everything in the Festool catalog!!! I almost laughed myself into stroke.  It should be a smile to all of us to hear of someone brought low who picks themself up, turns it around, and thrives!
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Good for him!!

A gent I worked with had a strange philosophy about money and being broke.  Whenever he got low on cash he bought something expensive on credit.  One year it was a farm, which he sold and made a tidy profit.  Another time he bought an old railroad water tower for way too much money.  Turned out the water tower was made out of clear 12/4 Redwood which he sold for a tidy profit.  I guess it's all about how you view things as to whether you're broke or just looking for an opportunity.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...

Cool  stories
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

How long did you stand there and drool ?
Big Grin
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Wow!  I wonder how long until he realizes he doesn't need everything in the catalog - that some of those items are redundant?  At that point, make sure you're the first person he calls before he starts liquidating.  I know a lot of guys (myself included), who, once they had the means, started purchasing things they thought they'd use or need.  I've come to appreciate being leaner with my tool inventory, have since sold much of what I considered to be redundant or no longer required.

Good on your friend for sticking with it.  Grit and resolve overcome a lot of obstacles.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Good to hear a warm story. Now he can start a second carreer as a TV show host; call it The American Woodshop.....oh, wait, I think that title is already taken.
Laugh  Anyway, congrats to him for his success.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-30-2017, 07:04 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Good to hear a warm story. Now he can start a second carreer as a TV show host; call it The American Woodshop.....oh, wait, I think that title is already taken.
Laugh  Anyway, congrats to him for his success.

With all the Festool, it would have to be The German Workshop. 
Wink
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I hope he has time to use it all.  You see the occasional auction where someone with money spends a chunk on tools and never uses any of it.  I guess buying it would be fun though.