Delta benchtop drill press- loose chuck
My drill press has a 1/2" chuck on a tapered spindle. When I try to cut large wooden circles (4" diameter) with an adjustable hole cutter, no matter how slow I go, it tends to bind and the spindle keep turning.
The bit is fairly sharp and I'm cutting pine.
I've taken the chuck off, and examined the spindle for any flaws. and tapped the chuck back on with a hammer and wood block.
Worked for about two circles, then binds again.
Any suggestions?
Lloyd Kerry
Creator of the Kerry-All Pouch
The foolproof water-repellent pouch that’s built to withstand the elements.
The biggest problem with circle cutters is they need to be real sharp. When you think they are sharp, keep sharpening. The second problem is the speed setting. Make sure you have it set properly. The feed rate is also important, feed it too fast and the cutter binds and/or the chuck falls off. I speak from years of experience,
Crazy
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
To make sure the two mating surfaces of the taper are clean and dry I hit them with a solvent like acetone, naphtha or brake-clean.   This has fixed similar problems in my shop.

Also, how fast is your drill press spinning?  If it's running too fast it might be putting a lot of stress on the chuck.  I like to run a big cutter like that at speeds less than 200 RPM.

Mike
Thanks guys,
Good suggestions. I'll sharpen again and clean the spindle with acetone. I'm not sure the speed, but it's the slowest pulley/belt setting.
Lloyd Kerry
Creator of the Kerry-All Pouch
The foolproof water-repellent pouch that’s built to withstand the elements.
(01-29-2017, 09:00 PM)Creator of the Kerry_All_Pouch Wrote: Thanks guys,
Good suggestions. I'll sharpen again and clean the spindle with acetone. I'm not sure the speed, but it's the slowest pulley/belt setting.

What model is your DP? I have the 10-990 and IIRC the slowest speed is around 600rpm, which is a bit too quick to run the circle cutters, IMHO.
Put a little bit of chalk on the cleaned taper before reassembling. That has always worked for me.