I just keep finding more house problems.
You don't know the construction of the house or the live load in addition to the stone and tile.  Some big people in this country
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

This will help:

Rent "The Mouse Hunt", get a six pack of Yuengling, pick up a big foot long sub or large pizza from your favorite place, & sit back and enjoy.......

........'cause you've earned it my friend.
My parent's old place became mine and my bro's when they passed, two houses on the property.  Front house in pretty good shape, back house has got to be over 120 years old, an old shotgun shack with an addition from who knows when.  After hurricane Sandy, the insurance co wouldn't insure unless we replaced both roofs, that hurt, but the back tenant is 89 years old, been living there for over 40 years, and I'm dreading when she passes (she'll never move) as at a minimum we are looking at a kitchen and bath remodel with full upgrade of all fixtures, likely floors (they creak like hell) the water supply and drain lines, as everything is ancient and living on borrowed time; and god knows what else we will find when all of that starts!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-30-2017, 04:25 PM)Duane N Wrote: I bought my "fixer upper" back in 1998 and I learned quickly when deciding to start a project whatever you have for a budget double it....

Also quadruple the time estimate!
(01-31-2017, 06:28 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I can't imagine a floor structure not being ably to bear the weight of a modern kitchen.

Lol, you don't know the shoddy contractors we had around here. They got away with some awful bad stuff. All you had to do was pay off the inspector with a bottle of whiskey. That's if they even had the house inspected. There were ways to get around anything.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(01-31-2017, 06:28 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I can't imagine a floor structure not being ably to bear the weight of a modern kitchen.

Pretty common really. Loml is from Cleveland (Mentor) and when I go up there I'm always working on relatives houses. You would be surprised how bad the floor framing is on houses. The new houses are framed just as bad as the old. 2x8 floor joists 14' on center some even near 16'.  

I go down in the basement and show them how bad the framing is and what it should be as it isn't even enough for a living room with no furniture in the middle. And the kitchen also has has a big dip in the center if the floor...  Both of her brothers houses have this problem and they asked what the fix was... Told them the cheapest fix is to put a beam in the middle to cut the span in half and then support it which gets in the way in the basement. The other fix would be steel plates and wood doublers and the other would be to totally re frame the floor one joist at a time.  

I have been in countless houses with floor joists that are covering way too long of a span. Our house was built in 1960 with allot of reclaimed lumber from a much older house. Hard as As a rock stuff. And it's 2x8 with spans of 7'. Which is actually pretty good but if I were building i would have done the same span using 2x12. Course I like a floor as stiff as possible as I hate flex in floors. I'd probably do gypcrete in ours if we were staying but I'd have to do it myself as no contractors do it here and few have heard of it.
(01-31-2017, 02:03 PM)Admiral Wrote: My parent's old place became mine and my bro's when they passed, two houses on the property.  Front house in pretty good shape, back house has got to be over 120 years old, an old shotgun shack with an addition from who knows when.  After hurricane Sandy, the insurance co wouldn't insure unless we replaced both roofs, that hurt, but the back tenant is 89 years old, been living there for over 40 years, and I'm dreading when she passes (she'll never move) as at a minimum we are looking at a kitchen and bath remodel with full upgrade of all fixtures, likely floors (they creak like hell) the water supply and drain lines, as everything is ancient and living on borrowed time; and god knows what else we will find when all of that starts!

Gas, match, insurance.........

Ed
(01-31-2017, 02:03 PM)Admiral Wrote: My parent's old place became mine and my bro's when they passed, two houses on the property.  Front house in pretty good shape, back house has got to be over 120 years old, an old shotgun shack with an addition from who knows when.  After hurricane Sandy, the insurance co wouldn't insure unless we replaced both roofs, that hurt, but the back tenant is 89 years old, been living there for over 40 years, and I'm dreading when she passes (she'll never move) as at a minimum we are looking at a kitchen and bath remodel with full upgrade of all fixtures, likely floors (they creak like hell) the water supply and drain lines, as everything is ancient and living on borrowed time; and god knows what else we will find when all of that starts!

I would be more concerned of having to clean up the body than fixing all that stuff
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

i feel your pain. last time i had a leak under the bathroom sink it turned into a complete bath remodel, and my house is only 40 years old
(01-30-2017, 08:22 PM)museumguy Wrote: No one thought to check the structure first.

That should be the first step for a tile job, tile needs much stiffer floors.  Very few kitchens can support tile as-built, they nearly always require structural reinforcement to support tile.  The JohnBridge site is a good resource for more information.