Using branches for turning wood?
I know a little about branches and "reaction wood" so I wouldn't try to saw any up for lumber, but there's some nice branches around here that are big enough for small turning projects even after being cut in halves, thirds, etc to remove pith.

Dumb idea or give it a try? 
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
go for it,I have turned branches for various things.They make good pen blanks,I have even used larger ones for candle sticks and one very large one for a potpouri dish.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I have also done the same thing before.  Some branches are up to 12" diameter and I have made bowls, vases and a lot of practice wood.  Good stuff.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Look at the end of the branch.  The heart might be off center.  Make your projects of wood from the high side, with broad rings, or the low, with narrow.  Half and half tends to warp really weird sometimes.  I assume you are taking open-grown trees with spreading branches.  Much less pronounced, to non-existent reaction wood on woods trees, where the branches are more vertical than horizontal.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Go for it.  You can get some interesting wood that way.
The others give good advice on how to cut them to limit movement.
Rodney