Entry level bandsaw recommendation
I technically don't have a separate woodworking shop...at this moment I'm using my attached garage as a temporary shop so most of my tools are mounted to a base with wheels so I can move things around then store them in a corner when not being used.

I'm looking for advice for a band saw that can be mounted to a base and moved around for the time being until I can build my detached garage.  I'm not looking for anything huge but maybe something that can cut something around 12" tall in half and maybe being able to tilt the table at an angle.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Duane
Question, when you say cut something "12" tall in half" are you talking about resawing??  Most Delta clone 14" (depth) 1hp bandsaws have a height limit of 6", unless it has a riser installed, and then 12", and these are not "entry level" but are pretty much mainstream saws.  Without a riser, you are talking 18 or 20" bandsaws, again, not entry level.

Otherwise, new or used; CL postings often yield used saws at pretty good prices; new 14" saws from Grizzly start at $500 or so, add another $100 for a riser block.  I have both a Delta 14" and a Grizzly 19" and both have performed well for me.

Examples:  http://www.grizzly.com//woodworking-bandsaws
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My first choice would be an old Delta 14" with riser block.

I suggest you add your general location to your posts, in case some member has, or knows of a saw you might be interested in. 
Also check Craigs List and other classifieds.
I check mine daily. 
Remember "The earlybird gets the old good deals"
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
The Rikon 10-325 will cut 13". I have mine on a mobile base and it's fine. Not exactly an entry level machine but that way you won't have to replace it when you get your shop built. It goes on sale a couple time a year.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
What's your $budget and what sorts of things do you plan to build with it?

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(01-31-2017, 12:07 PM)MKepke Wrote: What's your $budget and what sorts of things do you plan to build with it?

-Mark

This.

And by 12" tall, as others have pointed out, you are referring to a resawing operation?  Or making large bandsaw boxes?

A 14" Delta or Delta clone (I just purchased a Grizzly G0555LX with riser block and mobile base -- bit of a tool desert in my immediate area so I saved up) will do the job well.  New, plan on around $700 all in with roller stand and extra blades.  Used and ready to go, maybe $400.  Used and needs attention, maybe $250.  But really that depends on your area, the local demand and your negotiating skills.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Sorry for the newb terminology...I did mean resawing...like cutting a tall board in half to make the grain match on a table top of something.  You answered my questions so thank you.

I now have a starting point of where/what to start looking for and the extra parts I may need. 

After todays doctor visit though I'm going to have to wait on any large purchases because I am having surgery next Thursday and will be down for a couple of weeks.
First, best of luck with the surgery! (btdt)

Secondly, as mentioned earlier I also suggest you take a look at Grizzly's lineup. They offer several nice 14" bandsaws that will probably meet your needs. Their products have gotten high marks from members here (including me) over the years.

Doug
Continuing this subject a little bit - since I don't have any means of transporting a bandsaw were I to purchase one on Craiglist, and I'm not confident in my ability to spot any non-obvious issues in it's operation, I've been sticking to mainly looking at new options.

I was recommended to look at the Laguna 14|12, as a comparison to the Grizzly GO513. I've tried to aim for a roughly 12" resaw, as this is a tool I don't expect to want to ever replace and I'd like to get it right the first time.

Two questions:

a) If I have the opportunity, is running a 230V outlet to the bandsaw substantially preferable to running it off of 110/115V? Does that affect anything other than the amperage draw on the circuit?

b) Does Grizzly only sell online/direct? Is there a comparable model in Rikon's line that is worth looking at? There is a Woodcraft store not too far from my house and I could probably manage a way to get a saw from there to my basement.

Thanks!
I have a laguna 14/12 that I bought last year.  I had some initial setup issues with the blade constandly wanting to come off.  It required adjustment of the lower wheel that you normally never have to touch.  Called customer service and they were very helpful.   Its the best band saw I have owned.  My last saw was a Jet 14" with a hight extension.   I think that the laguna is a much better saw.   Before I bought my saw I tried looking at used on craigslist.  Lots of the adds were wanting a lot of money for used that I just decided I was better off buying new.  Hoping that this is the last bandsaw I will have to buy.