Entry level bandsaw recommendation
OP - I use a Laguna 14 SUV.
It is a nice saw and I very much like it.
But I have read enough bad news right here on Woodnet about how awful their customer service is, to recommend against a Laguna purchase.
Sadly I recently had to replace the lower wheel bearings, happily they are common and available anywhere. I feel fortunate about that.
Buy yourself a lifetime tool. Grizzly, which I have good positive experience with, or Rikon which are well reviewed here by WN users.
I had a Jet 14 bandsaw, no complaints there either.
Random thoughts.
Ag
(02-01-2017, 02:07 PM)Zhent Wrote: Continuing this subject a little bit - since I don't have any means of transporting a bandsaw were I to purchase one on Craiglist, and I'm not confident in my ability to spot any non-obvious issues in it's operation, I've been sticking to mainly looking at new options.

I was recommended to look at the Laguna 14|12, as a comparison to the Grizzly GO513. I've tried to aim for a roughly 12" resaw, as this is a tool I don't expect to want to ever replace and I'd like to get it right the first time.

Two questions:

a) If I have the opportunity, is running a 230V outlet to the bandsaw substantially preferable to running it off of 110/115V? Does that affect anything other than the amperage draw on the circuit?

b) Does Grizzly only sell online/direct? Is there a comparable model in Rikon's line that is worth looking at? There is a Woodcraft store not too far from my house and I could probably manage a way to get a saw from there to my basement.

Thanks!

As someone has already said, either Grizzly or Rikon would be very good choices. The Griz 013 saw has gotten great reviews here over time. Unless you live near a Grizzly outlet, the only way to get a new one is to order it online and have it shipped to your home (tons here have done that). 

My first 14" bandsaw was a Grizzly - nice saw that met my needs at the time. I sold it when I decided to upgrade to a larger saw and caught the Rikon 10-340 on a special at Woodcraft when it first came out well over 10 years ago. Very nice saw for <$1,000 at the time. And "yes" it's worth putting in a 220v outlet to run the saw on, especially if you get a larger one. My Rikon is 2 HP and runs on 220v. 

HTH,

Doug
Personal bias, if I want a saw that has 12" of vertical capacity, buy a saw that was designed for 12" of vertical capacity. Buying a riser block mechanism for a saw I already owned would make sense, buying a new saw with the intent of adding a riser block, why? I have a Rikon 10-325 that does what I want it to do for a price that was acceptable. The new ones have an improved blade guide assembly.

For me at the time it was Rikon 10-325 vs. Grizzly's 0513.  I chose the Rikon because i have a basement shop and the Rikon seemed easier to move. The Grizzly 17" bandsaws offer a lot of bang for the $$ though and I seldom see a post complaining about the Grizzly 0513 series machines.
No less than 1/2 HP.  14" is a good size.

Major brands like Jet and Grizzly are so close to each other you probably won't see a diff however, I have a friend who bought a Laguna and loves it.
If the OP is going to be resawing 12" stock, think minimum 1hp motor.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My 20" Agazzani can cut to 12" thick and moves very easily on a rolling base. That's about the size bandsaw you'd want if need to cut 12".
Wood is good. 
This one gets me all excited!  No question on if it will do the job. Price is more than desirable but I'd bet he'd make a deal.

[Image: 00s0s_3u75h3xnWS3_600x450.jpg]

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/5990361141.html
Not what anyone would recommend but years ago i picked up a used central machinery (harbor freight) 14" bandsaw for $150.
Over time,I bought a riser block from grizzly, roller bearing guides and urethane tires. I tuned it up and it is great!!!!!!
I have a 3hp motor on my 19" Grizzly and I can't imagine trying to resaw 12" with just 1hp.
If I were looking again for an "entry level" saw I think it would be hard to pass up the Rikons. Tons of value for the money and reportedly excellent service.
-Marc

When I retired from the military in Oct. 2000 I decided to build up that wood shop I could never have with constant moves (17 moves in 30 years).

For a band saw I started out with a factory rebuilt $400 Delta 14 in., 1 HP, with a riser block (Bought it in early 2001).
- It was O.K., but not "Great!"

13 years later I "upgraded" and bought a new Rikon 10-350 (14", 2.5 HP, 14" re-saw capability, bigger table, foot brake, etc).
- I looked at the Laguna models but opted for the bigger table on the Rikon and was put off but the many stories on the net of poor Laguna customer support.
- Bottom line = I am VERY happy with the performance of the Rikon.
- About 2 weeks after I got the Rikon the light on the goose-neck LED light went out.  Called Rikon - WONDERFUL customer support.

There's plenty of good band saws out there (new and used) - do your homework and buy smart.

IF you can afford to buy beyond "entry level" I strongly suggest you do - it's less $$ in the long run than buying a "entry level" unit then "upgrading" later.  And . . . .  good tools are a PLEASURE to use.

Best of luck!

Billbor
Smyrna, GA