Oh SNAP!
Yup, that's exactly what you hear when you have a ring failure during clamping
Angry Then you have to decide if it's worth cutting the ring off and rebuilding it or living with it. This feature ring let go on the end joints in two spots right across from each other. Instead of having all that work go to waste I broke out the woodburner and burned every other joint to hide the open joint. I'm not worried about more movement since it's sandwiched between the rings. Not sure I like the outcome but someone will.
Hickory, purpleheart, maple and yellowheart. about 12 inches tall.
[Image: 189_zpsucqptkhw.jpg]

Walnut maple and turquoise about 14 inches across
[Image: 190_zpsebwm82i4.jpg]
Usually when I hear the snap it goes along with crackle, pop when I move more then slowly or when I wake up.

I do like the black lines it is tho.  The second one with the turquoise adds a lot of flair to it and I like it.

Good work buddy
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Angus
You are right someone will and I do. Good save.They both look great,as usual.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Looks good . don't believe I have turned any hickory. when machining I know it likes only one direction
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(02-01-2017, 09:31 AM)Woodshop Wrote: Looks good . don't believe I have turned any hickory. when machining I know it likes only one direction

This is my first time with hickory and you are 100% correct.  When crosscutting the segments one end would be glass smooth, the other end of the same segment looked I used a chainsaw to cut it. I thought I was having some unknown and very bad tablesaw voodoo going on. It has it's quirks but nothing too terrible. The hardest part was finding boards of the same color tones. 

Thanks for the compliments. After looking at the hickory piece I should have burnt horizontal lines at the top and bottom of the vertical lines with a wire. That would have tied the design together much better.

Uhoh My tru-stone search continues