Bosch (Reaxx) Lost Suit to SawStop news
(02-11-2017, 04:21 PM)Alan S Wrote: Joe:

Your message that a tablesaw guard is effective and should be used, is perfectly reasonable.  It might be better heard if people did not associate the advice only with Sawstop threads.

One reason I use SS threads as a platform is most everyone reads them 

If I just post a thread saying "Use the supplied equipment on your saw" it would get few if any responses and it would disappear in two days max. 

No one is interested in being called out 

But they sure like the train wrecks SS threads end up as 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

One reason I use SS threads as a platform is most everyone reads them
It's fine to recommend proper use of the table saw and it's supplied equipment.  But that's not all you're doing, you're also arguing, sometimes bitterly, against SS technology and it's inventor.  That's the reason you post so often on SS threads.  No one is fooled by this.

If I just post a thread saying "Use the supplied equipment on your saw" it would get few if any responses and it would disappear in two days max.
Why?  Almost everyone who visits this forum already know it.

This is the pot calling the kettle black.
(02-12-2017, 03:10 PM)Bach1750 Wrote: One reason I use SS threads as a platform is most everyone reads them
It's fine to recommend proper use of the table saw and it's supplied equipment.  But that's not all you're doing, you're also arguing, sometimes bitterly, against SS technology and it's inventor.  That's the reason you post so often on SS threads.  No one is fooled by this. Well you are arguing for it. That is what I believe is referred to as a DEBATE. I am sharing only what is true. You do not have to like it but it is what it is 

Why?  Almost everyone who visits this forum already know it. Because no one cares to man up and say: Well of course I should use the supplied safety equipment and go right out and install it when very few if any actually would, most people probably have nary a clue as to where the stuff even is

This is the pot calling the kettle black.  you cannot argue the 5500+ views so I will take that as a compliment to the effectiveness of the platform
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

LIL... I have free handed thru table saws many times, mostly in the field. There is a somewhat safe way to do this. I also use a splitter and no guard. I also am very mindful of where my fingers are and the potential, in each cut, for kickback.  My rule is don't let your fingers cross over the throat plate (OK with a push stick)  or reach behind the blade. That's the way I work, your choice is up to your comfort level! Still got ten!

With regards to Gass... he tried to remove my freedom of choice. He also testified in a Boston court that "finger saving technology" was available on table saws!  Only a half truth! The person who made the mistake of forcing a piece of wood flooring thru a portable saw, did not have that option on those saws at the time. This resulted in a huge reward for the plaintiff and Gass. I therefore label him dishonest!!!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Ok, so we're debating.  Can you clarify exactly what we're debating?
for the last time:

install and use the existing safety equipment provided with the saw and SS is just another redundant safety device 

HTH

(02-12-2017, 07:29 PM)JGrout Wrote: for the last time:

install and use the existing safety equipment provided with the saw and SS is just another redundant safety device 

HTH

Like seatbelts and airbags, eh.  So when are you disabling your airbags?  Come on Joe, get over it, SS has its place (ask any worker's comp or GCL  insurer), and I'll bet you a cookie that once SS's patents are expired, you'll see similar technology offered by all the major manufacturers.  All the rest of this is just semi-political bullchit.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
apparently you are not reading what I am saying 

there is a ton of pre SS saws that are not protected 

IDGARA  if or when any manufacturer  ever bothers to create flesh sensing technology outside of SS and at the rate Gass is going that is going to be much longer than most of us will live.  

Or logically one could spread the message: you already have the items required by CSPC  IF YOU JUST USE WHAT YOU ALREADY OWN.  And wonder of wonders it actually does what it is supposed to if installed and used

I am not willing to go into all the BS that actuaries are using to bully insurance companies and educational facilities to put this technology in their shops and schools to keep users intact when the end users are still setting up the SS units without the supplied safety equipment in place. That is irresponsible education of our children and just as bad in working shops. All it does is promote the same exact standard that brought us SS 

Based on what I have seen and heard I cannot see what I have to get over; the concept is simple, the execution however is as steep as a vertical cliff if no one cares or chooses  to think about it

According to your synopsis everyone is  just gonna throw all that old iron in the scrap heap once someone else can break into the SS market  

of course  not; people on this site are using pre WW2 saws to this day 

Address that please

You bring up two different topics that need to be debated separately. 

1. All table saw users should install the existing safety equipment because this is the safest way to use a TS.

I don't think anyone on this forum would debate the accuracy of this.  Anyone here want to argue that table saws are safer without the guard/splitter/pawls?  I know I wouldn't make that arguement.  Ok, lets put that debate to rest, we all agree, right?

2. SS technology is redundant when the existing safety equipment is installed.

This is the only topic that needs to be debated.  To move forward, I'll just agree, SS technology is redundant when the existing safety equipment is installed. 

Now, to show you have the safety of all TS users at heart (I'm assuming this is your goal, right?), all you have to do is explain how every TS gets guard/splitter/pawls installed and never removed.  Please provide the necessary details.  Otherwise, I'll have to assume you're ok with the continued amputations of peoples fingers.
Joe, the simple truth is that vast majority of TS don't have guards on them. We may debate on why, you are suggesting macho, my feeling is the accountant who designed the guards should be run over the saw a few times. You are very correct about an attitude of disregard for safety . Personally, I think you are tilting at windmills trying to change that. So we end up with stuff like the SawStop.

We should stop and have a beer, we can order ten for the table a couple of times.
A man of foolish pursuits