Frame and panel construction
I will be making a TV console (Walnut). The sides will be frame and panel. There will be no face frame. Two inset frame and panel doors at the bottom, and two open spaces above the doors. The bottom will need to be solid, either plywood with hardwood edging, or frame and panel. The top can simply be a few cross members as a separate overhanging top will be attached. The dividers will most likely be plywood with hardwood edge and will be in a stopped dado so its not visible from the front. The rear panel will most likely be plywood set in a rebate.   

I am not used to making pieces with frame and panel sides. Normally I would use solid panels and dovetail the carcass, and the DTs would be covered up with trim.

I don’t want to use trim along the bottom so I will not be able to hide screws unless I plug them, and I want to avoid that. I also want to avoid a rebate as that will be seen from the front (no face frame). I can do pocket screws, but don’t want to count on that alone. There will be sliding pocket door hinges so I may be able to add reinforcing strips along the inside corners.

What are some joinery options that I can use? This piece needs to be rock solid.
IMO you may be over thinking it. glue and pocket screws will work just fine and you can dado the shelf(s) into the sides or use a stopped sliding dovetail joint to prevent the end from showing  either way it will be plenty strong enough as a carcass 

Here is one that I used a dado joint on at the bottom and a simple web frame at the top The dado was cut prior to the edging being set and the bottom shelf and the web frame were notched to fit Glue and pocket screws hold it together 

[Image: P1010014.jpg]
[Image: P1010015.jpg]
note the banding is wider than most use I use a Vee groove set to add the banding  It is a small detail that really enhances the joinery 

[Image: P1010016.jpg]
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks, that's actually not far off from what I will be building. I have it sketched out and the major dimensions laid out, just fretting over some of the joinery details.

It is to have bun feet so I am considering turning them rather then ordering them online. Should be fun.
If you go dado/ pocket screws keep the depth of the dado to no more than 3/16" and set your jig back the same amount as the dado depth to prevent the screws from getting too far into the sides and bulging the veneer surface  or just use 1" long screws 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy