Locust fence posts
Question 
Take bark off or leave it on?

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
It will fall off by itself after a year or two, but it will not effect the wood. One reason it is used for fence posts.
Will it try to grow with the bark on it? I sure don't need more locust trees.

Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
It may sprout some leaves, but won't last long. I cut several dozen of those some years back and used them for a horse corral. Cut when the sap was up. After a couple of weeks in the ground, they tried sprouting limbs/leaves and the top sides. They died out fairly quick.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Yeah...the possibility of sprouting roots is VERY slim. It could happen, but I can't imagine those becoming viable root systems.
Isn't that one of the reasons they should be inverted? You know, top of the tree in the ground?
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
They will not "grow."  It will not matter which end you put into the ground.  Here on the farm there are some locust posts that were set by some previous owner well before I came on scene.  I have set new post with a driver 36 inches or more down and the old posts  are as rigid as the new.  Neighbors say they were set about 60 years ago FTW.
Bill
(02-07-2017, 08:40 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: Isn't that one of the reasons they should be inverted? You know, top of the tree in the ground?

But then the roots would be exposed and you'd have branches growing in the ground- not a good idea.
Laugh
(02-11-2017, 03:07 PM)daddo Wrote:   But then the roots would be exposed and you'd have branches growing in the ground- not a good idea.
Laugh

Then as they grow they would grow deeper rather than taller. More stable that way.
Rolleyes
Big Grin