Painting OSB for wood shop walls?
I am in the process of building /updating a 30 x40 pole barn that I just purchased. I am at the point of getting ready to paint the ceiling (Drywall) and the walls (OSB). I was just wondering for those of you that have OSB walls is how you addressed painting them? As like most OSB it has the black manufactures print on the sheets that are facing out to the room. I was thinking about just priming the walls with a quality white primer like KILZs and calling it good as it is only a shop and all I want to do is to make the walls more reflective and bright for light purposes. Has anyone used just primer on the OSB walls and or did the black manufactures print blead threw? Or did you have to prime the black spots first then place a top coat on? Also what size roller did you use on the OSB as I am not sure if I will be spraying it on as I don’t have the water on due to it being winter in Michigan and cleaning the unit after wards would be problem.

Thanks
What I did, although I have not painted the entire interior, was just to brush on the primer.  The Kilz is pretty thick enough, IMHO, that the printing gets hidden on the first coat, but then I may have applied a fairly thick coat.  I would suggest, though, that you use oil base.  I used water based and had some of the chips come off exposing the next layer underneath, I attribute that to the water based kilz I used loosening the water based glue I assume is used for making OSB.  Not extensive flaking off of the chips, but enough to know that when/if I decide to complete the job, I will use oil based primer.

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
I just went to the Home Depot and bought the cheapest white interior latex I could find in a 5 gallon bucket, took a roller and stick and went to town; 2 coats, that was 14 years ago and still holding up with no issues.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Same as the admiral. Worked great.
The best results I have gotten are painting it with oil based paint. It's easier to keep clean and it covers and looks better.
If the absence of any print on the OSB is a must you will need a good stain hiding cover like KILZ, and up to 4 coats. If you look at it like a barn/shop, and don't plan to eat Thanksgiving dinners in it, what Admiral suggested will work, but if it's fairly empty I'd go to the rental place and get a sprayer. The better made 5 gallon capable units will spray KILZ just fine, and you will be eating a sammich with 4 coats on before Admiral rolled 2 walls, Not really if you count drying time, but the work part will go fast and easy. Now if the barn is full, you would want to COVER everything, and have it all back from the walls 8 feet minimum. Rental for a day shouldn't be more than 75 bux.

Ohhh, and semi gloss seems to be brighter than flat for a well lit look.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Use floor paint with a light color. I have OSB on my shop floor and used a grey color and it hid any markings. The floor paint covers well.

As for a color I suggest an off white or light beige to warm it up. I did the barely off white and while it was good at the time, the shop is kind of sterile.
Don
We did it like the Admiral says.  However, our's wasn't up on the walls yet.  LOML and I insulated the framed in walls and then got the OSB.  We laid 45 sheets of 7/16" OSB out on the grass in a line, took a 5 gallon bucket o' paint, used two rollers with extension poles, started from opposite ends, and met in the middle.

We did one coat.  Most of the walls are covered with various things like jigs, clamp racks, cabinets, shelving units, hang up tools, a TV, yadda, yadda.  I was not picky about coverage.  I just didn't want a dark shop.
Slight variation on the topic -- why OSB as opposed to plywood on the walls?  Is it just a cost savings, or does OSB also have a functional advantage?  I'm getting ready to install wood walls in the next couple weeks and haven't decided which material to use.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
Thanks for all the tips and technics from everyone’s past experiences. I think I will just cover over the black print of the OSB with a coat of primer and that should cover enough for bled threw and should not take long to cover those few areas and then just one coat it all and call it good as it is just a work shop and will be filled in no time.