Roubo!
After a few years of "wishin and hopin' I think this summer I will embark on building a split-top Roubo following the Bench Crafters plan.  Any insights to share or discuss?
If this is going to be yourg once-and-forever bench, don't cut any corners in either the construction of the materials/hardware. Even if it means postponing construction a little while until you can afford what you want, it's worth it. Otherwise you'll kick yourself a thousand times.
Goid luck. You'll love it when you're done.
Have all required hardware and vises on hand before starting to cut wood.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Unless you have not cut down the trees yet
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I told my wife that my our son will probably be giving it to his grand-kids, so hopefully it's my "forever bench" and I'm lucky to be in a position where I know I can do it without having to cut corners on materials.  I don't plan to cut down any trees though, somebody else can do that for me
Wink
Longer is good. Wider is not necessarily good. I think my bench is only 21" wide and that is more then wide enough.
Be sure to post the progress, that would be a great build along!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If you haven't thought about it yet spend a little time on how you're going to manhandle the slabs. I picked up a chain hoist and a pneumatic table to get them on and off the old bench. If you have someone to help its not bad but since I was working by myself and I'm not as young as I once was they came in handy.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
I'm in the same frame of mind

This just showed up on my doorstep

[Image: BD098E2F-A150-4FF9-93F3-FFA73C3D5C8C_zpszr8dgb91.jpg]
[Image: E88D2E07-D0F8-45D9-99AD-C34D9D53834C_zpsdcngyivd.jpg]
[Image: 3891AB00-E1A7-45BD-B91D-017FC3915173_zpsbncwncs7.jpg]
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere

Cool
where did you purchase that hardware?