Roubo!
I'm 6'4 and the counters I use as a work bench are 38" high. I don't think I'd want them any higher, but perhaps a couple of inches shorter if I did more hand planing. I think the "proper" height for a bench depends on more than just your height. Also on how you work and what type of projects you work on.

Phil
Phil's last comment bears repeating as I made the mistake on my bench - how you use your bench, what specific work you do on it is an important factor. I like what Andy did with a separate joiner bench from the main workbench (not to mention, there is some seriously gloatworthy benches in here including his!
Smile)

I'm going to tackle a new bench later this year and it'll be primarily focused on joinery / workpiece holding. My current bench, while stout, is not great for either of those chores - though it serves as a fantastic flat space with a couple of vices to hold stuff (coffee cups, etc.
Tongue) It is a bit low for me for using planes - but it is a great assembly bench.

Can I have a big enough shop for all 3 or 4 types of benches I'd love? Doubtful... but being aware of those things that I, personally, do and don't like and how I work, influences what I'm considering for my new bench. Benchcrafted hardware is likely involved though (that stuff is just gorgeous!)

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
Well I started on my temporary bench. I went to the big box and bought some prefinished plywood for the top and later drawers. I like the shaker style benches with lots of drawers. Usually I do this behind my shop but it is knee deep in snow right now.

[Image: DSC03054_zpspuhqdlso.jpg]

[Image: DSC03055_zps5y8yi1ep.jpg][Image: DSC03056_zpsa8kivja1.jpg]
Well, my Benchcrafted hardware has arrived and the lumber (soft maple) is stacked and stickered for the next couple weeks and I have all tools needed in place and ready go to go. Here's hoping I can find time over the summer to actually get this thing built!  Pretty much going to follow the Benchcrafted plans and Mark's video guide at the Wood Whisperer Guild.. I'll take pics and try to keep posting!
I am working on one as well. I have not done much woodworking recently, and I am trying to manage my time better to have more shop time.

My first mistake was cutting the tenons before the mortises.

Cut the mortises in the legs first, then the tenons. Some of my tenons are too loose, so I have to cut and glue on shims and recut them. Ugh.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Oh, has anyone paid the $110 for the Wood Whisperer Guild videos?

Are they worth it?
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
My thought is no, bought the Benchcrafted plans but ended up just making my own plans, really did not like the idea of bolts holding my bench together.

My best reference was a couple of books, by Landis and CS....step by step guide to bench building. However I did not chop/drill the huge mortises in the top, just glued them into the design. Also did not use fasteners to hold down the top, absolutely no need, and I've taken the tops (split top) off of mine several times.

Have fun,
Andy

-- mos maiorum