LN o1 chisels
Since LN discontinued the o1 bevel chisels, do you think used chisels will demand a premium for users that prefer o1 steel?

Thanks
Likely not. People will look at percentage discount over current retail without considering the steel. I, personally prefer 01, but that's just me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm not sure the answer is that simple.  I have not seen any LN O-1 chisels or plane irons on the resale market.  Certain people prefer the O-1 and might pay a premium for that steel since it is no longer available.  If something came up for sale I would give it consideration.
Which sizes do you have, and what is the condition?

Like Mike said, I haven't seen any offered for sale that were advertised for this explicitly.
I do see people cite A2 as an objection to current LN chisels, so I'd expect there are some who would be more interested in the O1 chisels as they continue to refactor their tools and sharpening systems.  I'd be surprised if you got the type of premium that comes from a true collectible.

Turn on your PMs and see if you get any nibbles in response to this post.
or post  to swap and sell with some pictures and a price you'd like to get? (you'd still want your PMs on)

Matt
BTW, anyone know why Lie Nielsen discontinued the O1 blades?  Was this more of a conscious marketing choice for their products, or was it more driven by supply chain issues?

Matt
I heard that they were having trouble getting consistent desireable production quality with the O-1 irons.  I like the O-1 steel and was a bit peeved that they just dropped it without warning.  They follow this whenever they drop a product....it just disappears.  I wonder if they would make them on special order?
This is a link to the video where I think Thomas Lie-Nielsen describes the reasons for using A-2.  Excellent discussion of different steel anyway.  I tried to insert the video directly, but couldn't figure out how to do that. Progress.

Link

Steve
Since there are so many other chisel makers out there with O1 steel, I don't think the LN chisels will come at any kind of premium.  The new Veritas chisels can be had in O1, and they are phenomenal chisels.  Other decent chisels available in O1 are Ashley Iles and even Narex, for a lot less than the LN chisels.  None of the alternatives are socketed chisels, but that's probably OK.  I've sometimes had issues with my LN chisels getting loose in the sockets, given I live in a very dry climate.  A bit of hairspray or a dab of epoxy in the socket solves that.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-03-2017, 12:41 AM)AHill Wrote: Since there are so many other chisel makers out there with O1 steel, I don't think the LN chisels will come at any kind of premium.  The new Veritas chisels can be had in O1, and they are phenomenal chisels.  Other decent chisels available in O1 are Ashley Iles and even Narex, for a lot less than the LN chisels.  None of the alternatives are socketed chisels, but that's probably OK.  I've sometimes had issues with my LN chisels getting loose in the sockets, given I live in a very dry climate.  A bit of hairspray or a dab of epoxy in the socket solves that.

Very good points about the other manufacturers, which I failed to take into account. 
The main advantage of the socket style for me has been the ability to use the LN longer handle when it makes sense.