Capacitor blew up!
Thanks mike. Ive bought some when i first rebuilt my motors a while back but the reason why i order them is because i noticed that the local stores charge more money. So i look for them online with free shipping. Yes im cheap. I order bearings online for $2 . I needed some quicker and went to a local bearing store (which i thought was interesting),, i said how much...he looked at it and paused,,,and said $10.
(02-03-2017, 06:16 PM)Marc Wrote: Thanks mike. Ive bought some  when i first rebuilt my motors a while back but the reason why i order them is because i noticed that the local stores charge more  money. So i look for them online with free shipping. Yes im cheap.  I order bearings online for $2  .  I needed some quicker and went to a local bearing store (which i thought was interesting),, i said how much...he looked at it and paused,,,and said $10.

Not to be critical or doing a test on them, but I go by the theory, you get what you pay for. Not all the time but most of the time. Yes it also depends on what it is and how much hassle cheaper can cost me.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I understand. But 9 times out of 10, if someone is selling the same product then ill wait a week instead if getting it that day. The bearing store sold me the same chinese bearings i get online. A local auto parts chain store lists an item i need for $390 (other stores also) made by a good company. I found it on line for $97 free shipping. Same exact item. So...i really dont mind doing a lot of detective work for a better price. But "you get what you pay for" is always a good way to think.
(02-04-2017, 09:02 AM)Marc Wrote: I understand.  But 9 times out of 10, if someone is selling the same product then ill wait a week instead if getting it that day. The bearing store sold me the same chinese bearings i get online.  A local auto parts chain store lists an item i need for $390 (other stores also) made by a good company.   I found it on line for $97 free shipping. Same exact item.   So...i really dont mind doing a lot of detective work for a better price.   But "you get what you pay for"   is always a good way to think.

Yup that's my experience. Not to mention the local place not only charges many times more they also have to order it and you had to make two trips there to get it increasing the price that much more... 

As for the capacitor. A us made one will be much better quality however in home tools it isn't a big issue as yours failed because the switch. 

I have a 1hp jet pump pump for our well. The capacitor blew watering watering the grass. Motor shops didn't have that one. So I checked checked the price on an hvac one. It was us made but I ordered ordered a Chinese one because the us made one was 1/4 of of the price of a new pump. I'm all for buying us and quality but that's ridiculous.
For the very minimal amount of time i use my tools, i dont mind buying a cheap one. If i use a bandsaw 2 times a year...thats a miracle,,,my table i might use 5 times. I sort of gave up woodworking but when a project pops into my head its nice to know i have the tools to try making something. Recently a project popped up that i want to try. Also,,,im fixing them up getting ready to sell everything. Kind of strange the way i think