Hanging A Flatscreen TV
We upgraded our 42" flatscreen. I want to hang the 42" in my bedroom rather than put it on a shelf. It's an older plasma that wasn't designed to be hung - it's heavier than the 60" that replaced it and there's no screw holes in the back for mounting hardware. All of the cable ports come straight out of the back rather than along the side or bottom edges. It does have handholds in the back for lifting. Assuming I could manufacture some sort of metal brackets to fit in the handholds, since they were designed to lift it, is there a reason they can't be used to hang it? I would set it up sort of like a french cleat. The brackets would have to be mounted on a bar that is then screwed to the wall studs. I'd also have to figure out a way to put standoffs in on the bottom, but that's doable.
It might be difficult to adjust the tv position. You might hold your hand in front of the TV and see how much heat comes off of it. 

A new 42" tv costs under $300. It will use less power and be easier to adjust the position. And it will be easier to mount.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
My luck would be that the manufacturer designed the hand holds for intermittent use and prolonged use would cause one or both to crack and the heavy TV to come crashing down to the floor.
Monoprice has brackets that will hold that anchor on the wall. Just check the weight rating when looking at them. They have tons of brackets to choose from and they have the best prices out there. Usually half to a third of the price of a local retailer and they have better brackets. 

Like mentioned those plasmas produce massive amounts of heat. Daughter had one in her room when she moved back in. In the winter I had to close off her vent and crack her window because the tv provided more heat than the room needed.... 

Plasmas and nnon led tvs should be in the recycle pile these days. Tvs have become so cheap and impressive picture quality. I remember when we bought a 46" Sony rear projection LCD and it was quite expensive and it was one of those sony was sued over.....
If it doesn't have a VESA mount pattern on the back, don't hang it. Make a shelf.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(02-03-2017, 10:11 AM)GHR Wrote: It might be difficult to adjust the tv position. You might hold your hand in front of the TV and see how much heat comes off of it. 

A new 42" tv costs under $300. It will use less power and be easier to adjust the position. And it will be easier to mount.

They also have an improved refresh rate and (usually) a higher resolution (lines per inch).  

I would put the old set in the basement and enjoy beers watching the game and buy a new one for the bedroom.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
^^^^what they said: toss it and buy a new one for all the reasons listed above.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-03-2017, 11:21 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: If it doesn't have a VESA mount pattern on the back, don't hang it.  Make a shelf.

This - while they do have great pictures Plasmas are heavy and hot. I would not trust hanging one from the hand-holds and would either do a shelf or just pop for a new TV
(02-03-2017, 11:21 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: If it doesn't have a VESA mount pattern on the back, don't hang it.  Make a shelf.

that's kinda the direction I'm going.

I don't want to buy a new one, this one is perfectly functional. We're also discussing a piece of furniture, but it would have to be tall to get it at the height we want it at.
(02-03-2017, 12:09 PM)crokett™ Wrote: that's kinda the direction I'm going.

I don't want to buy a new one, this one is perfectly functional.  We're also discussing a piece of furniture, but it would have to be tall to get it at the height we want it at.

You should also strap it to the wall.

Here in California, its kind of mandatory. Earthquakes and such, you know. However, I find it prudent anyway. My Living room TV is on a console table, but, its got 1/8" swaged cables lagged to studs behind.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry