Hanging A Flatscreen TV
(02-03-2017, 01:10 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: You should also strap it to the wall.  

Here in California, its kind of mandatory.  Earthquakes and such, you know.  However, I find it prudent anyway.  My Living room TV is on a console table, but, its got 1/8" swaged cables lagged to studs behind.

If the heat vents are in the back then it needs some spacers to allow the heat to escape.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If its on legs, it will have plenty of clearance. I'm not advocating pulling it back like a bad facelift. Just respectable restraint. In fact, mine allow about 15 degrees left/right pan.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Yeah, I wouldn't try to rig something with the handholds.  We had a CRT TV at one time that ran pretty hot.  It had been several years since it had been moved & when we went to lift it the plastic case pretty much fell apart in our hands.  It had become brittle from the heat.  Plasmas run hot, don't do it.
My friend installs high end TVs for media rooms.  He was recently flown to one of the islands, I think it was Jamaica, to install a system for Ralph Lauren.  Some of these systems are as much as $100,000.00.  

When I had him hook up my soundbar he didn't bother to look at the instructions.  I had screwed around with it for an hour and a half before I called him.  It took him exactly 7 minutes to do the hook up and he "tuned" the picture while he was at it.

I asked him about this and he said, "The mounting holes are probably hidden behind a panel or snap in piece of plastic".  He said as far as he knew the mounting holes were included from the very start of production of flat screen TVs.
within a month or three of figuring out how to do what you want the TV is going to die.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(02-07-2017, 02:35 PM)Cooler Wrote: My friend installs high end TVs for media rooms.  He was recently flown to one of the islands, I think it was Jamaica, to install a system for Ralph Lauren.  Some of these systems are as much as $100,000.00.  

When I had him hook up my soundbar he didn't bother to look at the instructions.  I had screwed around with it for an hour and a half before I called him.  It took him exactly 7 minutes to do the hook up and he "tuned" the picture while he was at it.

I asked him about this and he said, "The mounting holes are probably hidden behind a panel or snap in piece of plastic".  He said as far as he knew the mounting holes were included from the very start of production of flat screen TVs.

Well, I'll have to open up a couple of old computer monitors and see. I have no clue why one would put the holes in the chassis and not the cover, though.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(02-07-2017, 05:46 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Well, I'll have to open up a couple of old computer monitors and see.  I have no clue why one would put the holes in the chassis and not the cover, though.

I don't think he meant that.  I think he meant that there would be a separate cover that covered the mounting holes only. I will send him a note and ask.
(02-08-2017, 08:39 AM)Cooler Wrote: I don't think he meant that.  I think he meant that there would be a separate cover that covered the mounting holes only. I will send him a note and ask.

there might be on mine. I didn't see an obvious separate cover. I saw a cover that had markings for screws to remove, which generally are only there for end-user, which implied the end user could remove the cover, but it looks like it is all one piece and is also the bezel over all the output ports.

I'm going with a shelf that's rated for 200lb. This TV is heavy, but not that heavy.
(02-08-2017, 08:39 AM)Cooler Wrote: I don't think he meant that.  I think he meant that there would be a separate cover that covered the mounting holes only. I will send him a note and ask.

It would make more sense. However, of those few I've seen, I've seen no removable cover. The sample size is small, however. I did not get a chance to look at my small TV and monitor last night.

I would go with a floating shelf for the TV. If made out of hardwood and mounted well, it should be plenty strong. You can screw the legs to the top of the shelf and hang the soundbar underneath.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.