Thumb Screw For Delta 11" Drill Press
I'm missing the thumb screw (spade head) from the end of the pinion shaft on my Delta No. 645 11'" drill press. The bolt that locks the feed handle down. The size is 3/8-24 x 3/4". Anyone know where I can find one.
You might want to try McMaster Carr.  It looks like they have knobs and knobs with threaded studs. Linky

Larry
Larry
That screw is the same as the 14" drill Press, I'll be in my storage space and see if I have one.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
You can also try an old fashioned hardware store.  I know they are becoming rare, but one by me has an assortment of thumb screws in different thread sizes, so it would just be a matter of knowing the size and matching it up.  And no, you wont find anything like it in the big box stores. 
Upset
(02-05-2017, 12:22 PM)Slav Jelesijevich Wrote: That screw is the same as the 14" drill Press, I'll be in my storage space and see if I have one.

Slav

Thanks, Slav. Let me know if you have a spare one.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Ok, this is a long involved solution but could you take a 3/8-16 thumb screw, cut the spade head off and weld/braze it to a 3/8-24 bolt ? If so, I'd use a longer bolt than needed so that you can clamp it in a vise and after it is attached, then cut the bolt to length. Just a thought.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(02-03-2017, 03:12 PM)Lynden Wrote: I'm missing the thumb screw (spade head) from the end of the pinion shaft on my Delta No. 645 11'" drill press. The bolt that locks the feed handle down. The size is 3/8-24 x 3/4". Anyone know where I can find one.

Can you live with a knurled knob?
https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGE...mthumb$
or, in 18-8 stainless, harder and higher tensile strength (and just about double the price, of course):
https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGE...mthumb$

At a glance, it may be that the head is big enough to drill and tap for a handle, or through drill for a tommy bar. Might do.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
Museumguy -- That would certainly work, but I'd have to hire someone to do it. I also wondered if the threads on a 3/8-16 thumb screw could be filled, filed down and re-threaded to 24 TPI. Another thought was to see if I could find a slightly larger metric thumb screw (M12?), file down the threads and re-thread it to 24 TPI. Finally, there are two or three pinion shafts (with the thumb screws) currently for sale on eBay. I could ask the sellers if they would sell just the thumb screw.

Jim -- I have a couple of knurled knobs, one of which I'm currently using. The PO of the drill press was using a hex head bolt, which worked fine.
I've made thumb screws out of bolts....heat up the head until red hot and then forge/ pound it out to the shape you want.
(02-06-2017, 07:42 PM)Yotie Wrote: I've made thumb screws out of bolts....heat up the head until red hot and then forge/ pound it out to the shape you want.

I was wondering if this was possible. I am in no means a metalsmith so I had no idea if would work. Thanks for the response.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry