Have you "paid" for your tools?
Like most of you, I didn't get into woodworking to make/save money. I do it because I enjoy it.

But, the other day the thought occurred to me that I have more than paid for my tools with projects that I have done around the house. For example, I put in a pantry for my wife that saved us $3000.

I don't have a lot of tools compared with a lot of the people on this forum, but it does make me feel good that my hobby pays for itself. I can't think of many hobbies that have the potential for paying for themselves.

Anybody else feel this way?
Not even close for me.

Not sure I'll live long enough to have everything I make worth more than the tools cost.

But I'm OK with that.
Nope.  I gave up on "saving money building things myself" a long time ago.  I'll never amortize the cost of the tools.  Or the shop building.

Just like I didn't spend money on a fly-in fishing trip to British Columbia last summer so I could save money on salmon filets.

OK.  So that last part was a gratuitous gloat.  Neener neener.
I love this argument. I'm going to try it out. Them I'm going to get cracking. Because I've got a lot of work to do.
I've probably paid for them, don't know if I've made money. I know we have nicer things than I would or could have paid for.
How do you put a value on enjoyment, peace, pride, satisfaction, etc?
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I have three sets of tools.

My mechanics tools, which I had to have to earn a living. Since I now have a pretty good retirement from that area, I did ok with the investment.

Second set is my woodworking shop tools. I probably was breaking even before we moved here 9 years ago, when I added/upgraded. Probably behind the curve now, since a great deal of shop output is donated.

Third set is the second career tools for the remodeling business I started just before retiring from the first job area. The business paid for all those tools, plus the trailer I used to store/transport them.

When it was apparent I could no longer remodel full time, I sold the trailer and embarked on another hobby which is creeping up in the woodworking tool budget---guns.

I might need to start making a little profit out of the shop to afford that hobby a bit more.
Big Grin
By doing home improvements, including two bath renovations with shop made cabinetry, installing $6k of trim millwork and interior doors, some flooring, closet renovations, redoing the deck, installing several exterior doors, and redoing a porch, all of which are really not what I like to build, I've saved enough to more than pay for all the tools in the shop.  Not including savings on painting . . . . . I will always do my own painting.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-03-2017, 10:05 PM)Admiral Wrote: By doing home improvements, including two bath renovations with shop made cabinetry, installing $6k of trim millwork and interior doors, some flooring, closet renovations, redoing the deck, installing several exterior doors, and redoing a porch, all of which are really not what I like to build, I've saved enough to more than pay for all the tools in the shop.  Not including savings on painting . . . . . I will always do my own painting.

My wife makes a point of needing to be convinced I now need a new tool(had a business and had all the tools kinda thing).

However, when she wants something done around the house(plus saving thousands by buying upgrading a repossession because of my tools and knowledge), she figures I will need a new one at some point.

I try very hard to not disappoint her.
Laugh
Laugh
Yes and I have a wide variety of tooling beyond woodworking that all fit that description.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.