Have you "paid" for your tools?
I more than paid for all my tools over the years (or I would have starved long ago) 

the sad thing is today I have more money in the tooling than the machinery 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

easy enough to do
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-03-2017, 09:43 PM)MsNomer Wrote: How do you put a value on enjoyment, peace, pride, satisfaction, etc?

This is what I was going to say or along those lines.
I think I've paid for my tools with projects around the house and things made for other people. Should mention that my wife bought many of my tools as birthday, Christmas, or anniversary presents. Of course that keeps my cost point down. Two other hobbies I used to break even were trapping and photography. They both turned over enough $$ to support the equipment needed plus a little. Now if I could just do that with the deer hunting. Cost of venison is probably something north of $500.00 a pound.
Crazy

Ken
I bought a rifle once and was going to pay for it with coyote hides! That didn't work out.
(02-04-2017, 08:24 AM)TangoTwo Wrote: Now if I could just do that with the deer hunting. Cost of venison is probably something north of $500.00 a pound.
Crazy

Ken

A hobby can't be pursued with at least one rationalization....  I fly to the Keys to go fishing offshore, between air, hotel, car rental and charter fees (not to mention the bar tabs), the 40 pounds of filet I'll bring back works out to perhaps $60 a pound, and my rationalization is that you can't get filets of those species in NJ!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
From the standpoint of hiring someone to build a project that I did myself, yes I've more than paid for them.....the only problem is that I probably would have never hired someone to do some of those things, would have done without ;-)

However there are a few: New windows for an 19th century well/tank house, used the old ones for patterns, and having priced custom made windows, they paid for many tools.

Baseboards, window/door trim, transoms, wainscoting and making hardwood floor replacement in our 19th century house, more than paid for my tools, both power and hand.

Andy

-- mos maiorum
(02-04-2017, 08:38 AM)larrymac Wrote: I bought a rifle once and was going to pay for it with coyote hides!  That didn't work out.

That business plan works best for folks who are Insomniac's. If getting a good nights sleep is a must then yep, you would go hungry. Back around 2004 Ohio had a proposed $50/head bounty, but it never got traction, and fur buyers will give you a few bux for a trapped Yote, but a shot one, not so much, so there is always that income stream thing. But hey, it can be fun, and you are doing the world a service.

On Tools I'm falling in with Bob, and Mac. I've gotten into several, you need tools to play pursuits, and I've paid for the tools in all of them.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(02-03-2017, 09:43 PM)MsNomer Wrote: How do you put a value on enjoyment, peace, pride, satisfaction, etc?

As homer said.... Search youtube for homer buys buys a gun. Extremely poinengt video.

I wouldn't have thought so myself but here we are.
If the only thing I ever accomplished in my shop was my van conversion--which pretty much required every tool I have--I would consider the investment paid in full. That's not counting the ~1,500 hours of enjoyment while building it. It would have cost at least $30-40,000 for something less custom that would not come with the satisfaction:

"Where did you find cabinets that fit so well?" "In my shop."

LOML after being complimented: "She's the woodworker, not me."
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson