L shaped desk design
I would like to build an L-shaped desk for my home office.  The size could be up to 9 ft in one leg and total of 6ft in the other leg.  I would like to have storage, including file drawers and other shallower drawers.  I am interested in contemporary designs.  Would love to see some examples from here.
Consider making the file cabinets separate boxes on casters. Then they can be pulled out and the top becomes more work surface.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
[Image: P1010001-1.jpg]

[Image: P1010004.jpg]

[Image: P1010005.jpg]

[Image: P1010003.jpg]

If  you want shallow drawers do it on top of one side 
You could put them under but it wastes leg room

You cannot see it but there is a shelf against the vanity panel on the inside client uses it for a gun and his after work beer if a client happens to appear 

JMO
Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks for the suggestions and sharing one.  It looks very nice and built so well.  Is the top veneer over a substrate or solid wood?

While surfing the internet, I came across this one below.  Interestingly is from the mid century.  Really like this design. Would appreciate additional thoughts and examples.

Attached Files Image(s)

The center is veneered the surrounding frame is solid 

Your mid century is a clean look I did one similar several yrs ago 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(02-05-2017, 06:43 PM)JGrout Wrote: [Image: P1010001-1.jpg]

[Image: P1010004.jpg]

[Image: P1010005.jpg]

[Image: P1010003.jpg]

If  you want shallow drawers do it on top of one side 
You could put them under but it wastes leg room

You cannot see it but there is a shelf against the vanity panel on the inside client uses it for a gun and his after work beer if a client happens to appear 

JMO
Joe

That's an outstanding piece of furniture.
(02-05-2017, 11:38 PM)JGrout Wrote: The center is veneered the surrounding frame is solid 

Your mid century is a clean look I did one similar several yrs ago 

Joe

That is an amazing craftsmanship!  Congrats.

Do you have pictures of your build similar to the one I posted about?  I am in particular curious how there is no leg on the interior side of the drawer banks. Is basically the entire box supported by the legs on the outside?  The engineer in me is worried about the top sagging if the drawer banks are also connected to the top steel rail.  I was thinking of the frame (legs, etc.) made out of tubular 1" steel, but not sure if the top would sag. Would appreciate thoughts...
I do not have pics of that one (confidentiality agreements suck) 

But I can describe it. 

The tops are torsion box construction which stiffens them immensely allowing the drawer boxes to free hang.   My tops were the same height ( no step down) so you would have to do some figuring there but that should not be too hard.

The back corner legs has the support gussets too which mine had they were  moved in (more centered) on the top to create what amounted to a 3 legged support both directions 

That one has the same amount of legs just orientated differently (4 to the tall part and two to the shorter side).

This is a SketchUp dwg of a L shaped desk I built for our church secretary.  The top is 2 layers of particle board laminated with overlap at the corner joint.It has support along the outside back edge but open between the end drawer Boxes. The dim are 6 ft by 7 ft and we have seen no problem with sagging top

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-07-2017, 09:02 AM)ktkoh Wrote: This is a SketchUp dwg of a L shaped desk I built for our church secretary.  The top is 2 layers of particle board laminated with overlap at the corner joint.It has support along the outside back edge but open between the end drawer Boxes. The dim are 6 ft by 7 ft and we have seen no problem with sagging top

That looks nice.  Great to know the front section (user side) did not sag at all.