Chisels
(02-05-2017, 09:33 PM)Mshep Wrote: Looking for a set of chisels, looking to stay at or under $100. I have a set of mortising chisels, looking for something to pair and chop. The narex with the metal hoop I don't like the way they feel. I have 2 buck butt plastic handle chisels from my father they are ok but too short. The new Stanley 750 are they worth it? Should I just get a single Lie Nielsen? Don't really like eBay and not much for tools in yard sales around me, and they ask ridiculous prices for rusted pitted tools here... (suberb of Atlanta) If so what size is best all around? Mainly work with 3/4 wood. But. Have started making a few desk clocks not sure wood thickness matters?

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks h

Get the Narex (they come recommended by good reviews) and rehandle them to your satisfaction.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
See what brands you can try at your friends house and see if you can try some at another friend's house. Once you have an idea as to what you want, there are several of us around here that sell tools and I'm sure one of us could hook you up.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Yes.  Small chisels first.  Stay away from ebay.  Reshaping or refurbishing an old chisel is by far the worst way to spend your time/money in my opinion... having done it exactly once...
LIL...

When you buy vintage chisels, you never know by looking at them how they will hold their edge...Many of the vintage chisels have been sharpened on grinding wheels and if the person doing the grinding allows the steel to turn blue, the edge will be blunted quickly...BUT...if you take a small file with you, you can ask the seller if he would allow you to test the edge of the chisel for hardness with your file...If the steel is hard, a file will "skate" on the chisel without cutting the steel...And chances are, the edge will not "chip" out...it isn't likely the seller will know how to harden the steel and cause it to be too "brittle"....I would buy that chisel if the price is right.

A search on Youtube will have several videos on hardening and tempering steel, so even a chisel that has been "blued" by overheating, can be saved. It isn't difficult and it usually requires just a propane torch and a container of any type of oil for quenching...It's a skill that's worth learning.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I agree with Derek. Just be sure to go to Lee Valley for English sized versions. Mine came from Highland and are metric. The Narex are good, so reshape the handles however you like. They are an odd fit for me since I also use japanese more often.
At one point in time I had more money than sense and I like matching sets.  I ordered the LN set 1/8" through 1" and then ordered the new 750s.  First step was to put the exact same angle on all chisels.  Without a doubt the LN hold an edge much  longer than the Stanley, but I am glad I have both brands!!!!!!!  Buying the 3/4" and 1" was not necessary.

Like someone else said, "buy two or three that you need now" then add as you see fit.  But...ALWAYS buy quality... you will never regret it.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Does it have to be a set?

I tried the narex ones and didn't like them either. What I did is buy one good chisel 1/2" (LN) chisel that I used the most and filled in what I needed as I needed them.

Veritas, LN, etc are so well balanced you'll enjoy having them as your most used chisels.
I have used or still have the chisels that you are considering.  I have a set of older Irwin Blue Chips (all blue handles) and two sizes of the new Stanley Sweethearts.  I have a set of Lie-Nielsens which don't seem to be a consideration for you.  They are in a different class altogether than the other brands mentioned.

I rate the Irwins and Stanleys about the same.  They are both "Sheffield" - made steel and are easy to sharpen, but rather quick to dull.  The Irwins (not the ones available at hardware stores currently = crap), are pretty robust, so you can whack them with a mallet without worry.  They have long handles.  The Stanleys feel kind of light weight in the hand and they have short socket handles.  I wouldn't strike them with anything but a wood or urethane mallet.  The blades on both brands are a bit blunt on the sides of the blades so they are not ideal for chopping and paring dovetails.  Honestly, the chisels from the Aldi food store chain are close to being as good.

Vintage chisels in good shape are a good choice because the steel is usually American and the handles can be easily changed if they are socket chisels.  You won'r typically get sets, but you can put a set together from mixed brands and give them all similar handles.
You have a lot of options, but I assume you are just getting started.  Best mix of quality, utility and price in "retail" chisels for me is hands down the LV "classic" Narex chisels with the tapered lands.  I bought some when they first came out and they are very good chisels and hold an edge longer than Irwin chisels.  I would suggest you either modify the handle as suggested, or learn to love them.  You don't need a 'set'  and the Narex are very reasonably priced so you can buy a few and not break the bank.  Otherwise, as was also suggested, vintage chisels can be had as well.  Put a WTB in the swap and sell forum below and see what folks have to offer, be specific as to size and type (i.e., beveled edge versus registered).  With either of these alternatives you can easily meet your target budget goals.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Just received one of the Veritas mortise chisels and must say WOW! These are plenty good for me.
Wood is good.