Non-CA Alternative for Pens
Got a lathe for Christmas and have been busy turing lots of little things - mainly pens to be honest. Love that I can do a complete project in under 1 hr and with so many kits and blanks lots of variety. I have been using a CA finish (Stick Fast CA) with 2x coats of thin, 5 coats of med with Accelerator between coats. Micro-Mesh wet sand down to 12k. When they turn out the results are great - but say 1 in 3 pens (done about 20ish) get "water spots" under the CA and I have to sand down and re-finish. Not sure if its really a water spot but they look like it on the pen, many say too much Accelerator or moisture in the wood.

Long story short (too late I know) is there another NON-CA finish that has the high gloss but not the perils of CA and Accelerator? I did try the BLO/CA finish but could not get it as glossy as straight CA.

Thanks Guys!!!

Mark
Lacquer is easiest.  There are lots of oil-based finishes e.g. Waterlox as well, but you need to build up the coats and it may take days to get the finish you're looking for.  Also, consider a Beall buffing system.  It'll take those oil-based finishes and put a nice, glossy polish on them.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Take the accelerator and throw it in the garbage,I have been using Super T hot stuff from Lee Valley for over 10 years without a problem.I was trying to post a pic but Photobucket is acting up. As mentioned, Waterlox is great as

Mel[Image: Dyedcurlymaplepens.jpg]

Found the pens,dyed curly maple.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
So those are CA finish but you just skipped the Accelerator? I did do a pen with the BLO/CA finish and it was easy but the finish was more satin. Going to try that one again and then polish it with Micro-Pads and see if I can build a glossy finish.
Yep only CA and wet sanded with micromesh.I tried accelerator and after experiencing white spots tossed it in the garbage I find the Lee Valley CA the best.I tried Gorilla ca and was not impressed. Those two pens are just like glass ,as a matter of fact took second place in a turning competition..Rallte can lacquer is good as well,just spray on light coats until you are happy with it and again wet sand with micromesh. Good luck.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I'll second that recommendation to drop the accelerator. WHile the accelerator is good for many things to speed the drying process, it isn't good when using CA as a finish. Once I stopped using accelerator to assist in the finish curing process, I've had no further issues. Now, I know of a few turners who still get good results even when using accelerator with their CA finish, so YMMV, depending on technique.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Recommend General Finishes  "wood turners finish".   Its water based, dries quickly and can be applied while the piece is still on the lathe in the same manner/procedure you are using for CA, i.e., sand, apply, sand, apply, until your satisfied.   After trying many finishes on my bottle stoppers and handles for cheese knifes, it my go to finish.

Dave
100% agree with what Mel says. There are definitely different qualities of CA glue out there, I bought a couple kinds of cheap stuff from Amazon and had poor results with them not drying and globbing up. I still use those for filling wood pockets with sawdust that I can set aside to dry. I now only buy the LV CA glue or from the hobby shop, both are premium products and worth the extra, considering the real cost per pen, this is pennies.

The accelerator will whiten CA, sometimes unpredictably so, it also seems to cause inconsistent hardening. I find holding the paper towel against the turning piece causes the CA to cure pretty quick anyway, from the heat.

I have tried every wonder pen finish out there and none of them have the durability of CA, in particular where the hand grips the wooden part, for other designs the finish is less critical (e.g. Sierra). Lacquer works almost as well, but it a PITA to apply and I am looking for quick results.

My 2 cents.

Rich
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/