plunge router reviews - recommendation
I like  the advice offered here, and especially Steves N's comment referring to the changes in company ownership. So many of the brands have went through changes (he pointed out PC, once a flagship brand and now much lower on the totem pole) bit others have changes as well. My choice would have been the Milwaukee 5616-24 (combo kit). but the ones i have were made when Milwaukee was a USA company, it's now owned by the Chinese. There are a couple of brands that haven't suffered this malady (yet) Bosch is one, I think Makita may be another. But remember any advice for a specific brand/model may be based on past experience. The other advice offered about sizing it correctly is spot on as well. The mid size routers are the work horse of most hobbyist's shop, make sure you get variable speed, 2 collets (1/4 and 1/2", and they are COLLETS, not split ring adapters) and you will be set up very well for almost anything you need to do.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
From hobbiest point of view, I own a sears craftsman combo mentioned earlier and love it, does everything I need it to do and cheap at around$100 on sale. All good advice about how the tool scene has changed in the last 10 years. Good luck with your decision and use and enjoy your tools.
Mark
+1 on the Bosch recommendation. I own routers by Stanley, Rockwell, Porter-Cable and Ryobi, but the Bosch seems much more refined. The only negative is that the hand-grip trigger takes quite a bit of pressure.
Wood is good. 
(02-07-2017, 09:06 AM)Mshep Wrote: From hobbiest point of view, I own a sears craftsman combo mentioned earlier and love it, does everything I need it to do and cheap at around$100 on sale. All good advice about how the tool scene has changed in the last 10 years. Good luck with your decision and use and enjoy your tools.

I have a bunch of those current craftsman ones as well. Along with milwaukee and others. Best bang for the buck in routers and the plunge base is better than the bosch I had and got rid of. Clear baseplate kits are cheap as well.

I do prefer the milwaukee plunge base above others but the ccraftsman  is just fine. 

The drawdrawbacks to the sears ones are the speed control doesn't respond as fast to loads as others and the cord is hard as a rock.
(02-06-2017, 11:07 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: My goodness, can I be that old school? PC 690 series. I have two sets with the fixed and plunge bases.

I also have a Milwaukee plunge 3&1/2hp for the router table(or hand held when I wish to tempt fate).

Wood review
[/url]
[url=http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/routers-router-accessories/do-it-all-routers]
Routertable review

Mac I'm with you. I think I have 8 of them, some fixed, a few combos sets, and 2 D handles. I love them D handles, but nobody seems to give them any love anymore. I've had one in a boxed in router table for at least 20 years, and if I need a simple edge where I want to run the stock on a table it get's used the most. 1 3/4 blazing Hp, full on start at 23,000 RPM, soft starts are for weenies
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh Just kiddin guys, but I sometimes do like it running when I'm ready to go>>>>>>>>>>>ZOOM
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(02-06-2017, 11:18 PM)TucsonLawrence Wrote: I love triton. Both for plunge and table use
Lawrence

Over the years I have become a definite Bosch guy, and I have a few Bosch combo's, but I have a pair of big Triton's (router tables), and one small one, who am I kidding it's 2 1/4Hp, and I really would have to say if I were to suggest a brand for a router today, I'd say Triton. Loads of features in a runs forever package, and a price you just can't beat. I really don't know how they do it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
You wanted a good router site, this is As Good as it Gets
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(02-07-2017, 06:56 AM)fredhargis Wrote: . But remember any advice for a specific brand/model may be based on past experience. The other advice offered about sizing it correctly is spot on as well. The mid size routers are the work horse of most hobbyist's shop, make sure you get variable speed, 2 collets (1/4 and 1/2", and they are COLLETS, not split ring adapters) and you will be set up very well for almost anything you need to do.

I think the soft start is a great thing.  In the odd case that the manufacturer you're looking at doesn't have one, go elsewhere.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have a Bosch 1619 plunge router, 3.25 HP.  It is too big and heavy to use as a plunge, but I love it in the table.

I have a Milwaukee 5615, midsized 1.75 HP router.  It has the dual bases an therefore has rocker switch, which I do not like.  I prefer a trigger on the handle.  The plunge lock is in a bad location, IMHO, making it hard to operate.  YMMV, depending on hand size.  Like some famous rich man, I have small hands.  I removed the spring from the plunge lock and push it both directions, rather than trying to hold it in the unlock position when I plunge.  I get along with the router now, but I would prefer better ergonomics.

I have the DeWalt 611 with both bases.  It also has a rocker switch, which I do not like, but I find it a great small router, other than that.  Like others said, a small router is for spinning small bits.  I love the control I get with the little guy. 

Not much of a real review, but I hope it is helpful.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(02-07-2017, 05:39 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: I think the soft start is a great thing.  In the odd case that the manufacturer you're looking at doesn't have one, go elsewhere.

I agree, if needed. I had forgot to mention it, though I think the VS models all have soft start.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.