plunge router reviews - recommendation
Just a heads up on the Milwaukee 5616, they no longer offer a fence (edge guide) for this router. 

It's not that hard to fabricate one or adapt one (I think the PC one can be made to work with some tinkering) but if that's not something you want to hassle with, then look for a manufacturer with a little better accessory options.
The PC will work if you change the mounting pins to a 5/16" diameter pin (I think that's the size). I did it with mine.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I wonder if any here recognise this family?

[Image: Elu-177e-MOF97-MOF96.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Elu is certainly a fabled name in hand power tools, but in the USA those routers would be DeWalts. Not sure who borrowed from whom? But I have heard many a time B&D bought Elu in the early years of DeWalts 625, so I imagine the Elu is older.

DeWalt 625

[Image: lfpuzwh.jpg]

DeWalt 621

[Image: 81HKFlMq6NL._SY550_.jpg]

You can see a familial likeness. I think the Elu's had the snazzy parts, and the DeWallies were very functional, but lacked the jazz.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
One thing about Craftsman is that their recent sale to Stanley / Black & Decker might change what they offer in their tool line, making it more difficult to find parts. Sears has been tanking over the recent past, and once B&D puts their imprint on the Craftsman line, no telling where they will end up.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Based on what we have seen from both of them independently, I would assume badly. Guys who never had a tool, and want a cheap one may sing their praises. I'd rather HF if that was me, but we won't see many, if any better quality tools from them. Service, if what little they have ceases to exist, they will have sealed their fate to be Dodo birds.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Hi GW

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but rather to add info ...

B&D purchased Elu, who designed the routers (and many other power tools). May have been in the mid 80's. Elu were made in Switzerland, and considered the highest quality, something like Festool today. When I purchased the 177e (the largest version), which B&D under their DeWalt brand badged as the 625, the alternate choice was the large Festool (in those days called Festo). I preferred the ergonomics of the Elu, and so purchased that. 

These are wonderful routers, and I especially like the middle one, the MOF 97. It has wonderful balance and dust control. Like the 177e, these have electronic variable speed and soft start.

The small one, MOF 96, is light and nimble, which is great for inlay.

All Elu routers are built like tanks, and there are still parts available. I think that they are interchangeable with the DeWalt versions. The designs have been copied by so many others, but I could not say whether the parts may be used (anyway I could not imagine that the quality would be there). The point being, if you are looking at the second-hand market and find one in good condition, snap it up!

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Just a shout out to the Triton group. I bought the TRC 001 in 2010 and made RP doors for 2 kitchens and other cabinets. Such a workhorse in the table.
I recently developed a problem and contacted their support located in NC. I asked if there was a repair facility in FL, but they are the closest. They were nice enough to send a prepaid shipping label to their facility and I am responsible for return shipping, parts and labor.
I couldn't ask for more than that for a 7 year old router.
Read best router table honest reviews!
I just purchased a new B&D PC 690. It replaced a Craftsman and was an up-grade. However a reviewer warned if it's used heavily ,the motor burns out. Mine does warm up. Another reviewer said the plunge base is useless, which I don't have. I have Bosch 1617 with both bases and DeWalt 625
A man of foolish pursuits