Is there an acceptable alternative to Truss Clips?
Is there an alternative to Truss clips?

I've got to move/build some interior walls. In the past, I've drilled an oversized hole through the top plate, slid a coated sinker into it and nailed it to the joists, leaving about 1/2 inch of the nail sticking out. But, I really should use a double top plate which is too thick for that method. I went by HD today and apparently they sell drywall, studs and everything you might need to build an interior wall.... just not rafter clips.

Is there an acceptable alternative?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Did you look  by the Simpson strong tie display ?  Normally around the decking materials.   Probably listed as Hurricane clips.    If I am thinking of the correct item.   LINK       Roly
Those are hurricane clips.  I think I misspoke and probably should have called them Truss Clips.  They are for interior walls where they meet truss and have a slot in them to allow the rafters to move up and down without pulling the wall up with them. 

Truss Clips

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I'm not a licenced builder.... But why would you need rafter clips on an interior wall that is only holding itself up?
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(02-07-2017, 03:48 PM)CLETUS Wrote: I'm not a licenced builder.... But why would you need rafter clips on an interior wall that is only holding itself up?

Truss clips

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

All I can do is speak from my experience building HfH houses.

Interior walls are not attached to trusses. Generally, you get truss movement due to temperature and the bottom chords move up and down a bit. Generally, the flex in the drywall is sufficient to keep the wall/ceiling corners from gapping. Unless a wall is otherwise free-standing and not tied into other walls, I see no need to tie to the roof structure. The drywall alone would add enough stability anyway.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Here is one alternative.   This pdf explains what  and why it happens. Not so sure if it will work for you.   LINK     Has the lifting been a problem for you ?   Roly
(02-07-2017, 04:41 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: All I can do is speak from my experience building HfH houses.  

Interior walls are not attached to trusses.  Generally, you get truss movement due to temperature and the bottom chords move up and down a bit.  Generally, the flex in the drywall is sufficient to keep the wall/ceiling corners from gapping. Unless a wall is otherwise free-standing and not tied into other walls, I see no need to tie to the roof structure.  The drywall alone would add enough stability anyway.

Yup. The ceiling will move up with with a heavy snow load as well. And you don't nail the drywall within 12" of the walls to allow the drywall to flex and not break joints. 

I wish more trusses were used. Here you rarely see trusses but then again the style of house here doesn't lend itself to being a truss roof. Sure makes remodeling easy when you have no load bearing interior walls. Also allows for a dryed in house before the interior framing is built if needed.
(02-07-2017, 04:45 PM)Roly Wrote: Here is one alternative.   This pdf explains what  and why it happens. Not so sure if it will work for you.   LINK     Has the lifting been a problem for you ?   Roly

Thanks, that's probably more than I want to deal with as the ceiling is already in. I may just let it float.

You get 3/4" lift or more in this area. One big problem is that blown in insulation falls between the truss and the sheetrock if the nails or screws fail and then it's a nasty mess. I have blown in insulation here.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Trusses are all we see here. Roof lines, however, are pretty simple. I don't even know if you can do a stick built roof given earthquake requirements.

My retirement home in Tennessee is also truss. In fact, 100% attic trusses. Only wish it had a hot roof to keep the storage area cooler. I'll have to look into that.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry