Is there an acceptable alternative to Truss Clips?
What's a hot roof?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(02-07-2017, 07:12 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: What's a hot roof?

Insulate the bottom of the roof instead of the ceiling. Thus, insulating the attic. This involves not having any venting too.

The benefits include not having HVAC losses in ductwork in the attic. Keeping your storage area moderated in temperature and humidity. And making leakage around ceiling fixtures immaterial.

The downside is that the roof is now hot and doesn't radiate into the space below. Some shingle manufacturers will not honor warranty on a hot roof. Some now do and, of course, a metal or tile roof is OK.

Another downside is that you cannot see leaks. Generally, you use urethane sprayfoam. You'd better be sure of your waterproofing.

You must also provide some ventilation to the space.

Separately, I plan to definitely seal the crawlspace. Reduces moisture. Insulating the perimeter of the crawlspace is easier than the floor. Keeps out vermin. Its not too hard to do.

Not sure of the effort and cost of insulating the roof. Its much harder to do on an already built structure.

https://buildingscience.com/documents/di...l-climates

And for the crawl space...

https://buildingscience.com/documents/in...insulation
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Don't you get condensation problems in the attic?

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

No. But you have to treat it as a room with adequate ventilation.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(02-07-2017, 03:28 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Is there an alternative to Truss clips?

I've got to move/build some interior walls. In the past, I've drilled an oversized hole through the top plate, slid a coated sinker into it and nailed it to the joists, leaving about 1/2 inch of the nail sticking out. But, I really should use a double top plate which is too thick for that method. I went by HD today and apparently they sell drywall, studs and everything you might need to build an interior wall.... just not rafter clips.

Is there an acceptable alternative?

Along the same lines couldn't  you use a long timber screw instead of the nail ?   They come in lengths longer than you should need for a double plate.    Roly
I could and I probably will. I'll still have to drill an oversized hole so the top plate slides on the screw. I have some long cabinet hanging screws which I could use.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

So, why not do nothing as suggested? Seems to work fine.

Do you have a Lowes near you:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/USP-1-1-4-in-x-...ie/3692082
Drilling a hole in the top plates and using a long timber screw or even a small lag bolt (less often) will work.

Just be sure you have a washer or the hole small enough so the head does not happen to slide into the hole.
(02-09-2017, 06:00 PM)jamesglenn Wrote: Do you have a Lowes near you:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/USP-1-1-4-in-x-...ie/3692082

I looked at Depot but not Lowes... I just assumed. Thanks, I'll swing by.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS