TV Console
Maybe I'm not understanding, but sounds like you plan to mount a door either side of the center, instead of on each outer edge? If so I think it will look weird, compounded by 6" sticking out. I think if you had enough depth to push the door all the way in it wouldn't matter which side, but our eyes are used to seeing doors on the outside of a case. I probably am imagining something different than you are. If you do a mock up, show a pic of that.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Yeah, I am not sure that it will even work. I ordered the hinges and will do a mock up with plywood doors before cutting up any walnut. I will find out exactly how much of the door will stick out and if making two part doors will solve that problem. Placement of knobs/pulls will have to be worked out.

Normally, they would be mounted on the outer edges. The doors will be full inset and no hinges will be seen. If I split and hinge the door in the center, I will inset the piano hinge so that will not be seen when the doors are closed.

If I hinge the doors to the center divider, when closed, the only clue would be placement of any knob or pull. When opened, You would see the edges of the door in the space between the speakers and center divider, with nothing sticking out.
You are attempting to avoid this.

[Image: Jogensen_TV_cabinet_011.jpg]

I think you are well served to look at a mock up 

Because I don't feel that a bifold door is going to look right when retracted. 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

This is the kind of detail that should be worked out, on paper, before any construction takes place.
Wood is good. 
Joe, thats exactly what I am trying to avoid.

Once I make the mock up, I will see what I am dealing with and will see what the customer wants. She does not plan on using the speakers too often so I am not sure she will object to the doors sticking out.

Everything was drawn out full size on a story board. Just some details just can't be worked out completely until you get to certain points. This is not as big of a problem as I may be making it out to be, just trying to learn from you all.
I installed the hinge on one side and cut a test door. A one piece door will end up sticking out 8".  

[Image: Door_1_part.jpg]

I then cut the door in half and installed a piano hinge.

[Image: Door_2_part_2.jpg]

There is still enough room for the speakers. A simple latch will keep the door extended. plus I can add a cleat along the underside of the shelf to act as a door stop. 

[Image: Door_2_part_latch.jpg]

Going to show the pictures to the customer and see if the 8" of door sticking out is acceptable or if we are going to split and hinge the doors.