drill bit speeds in drill press
fread here, first timer.  does anyone know at what speeds the different wood bits work best in a drill press?
It varies by the type of wood and the type of bit.
Here is a link to suggested speeds for most major bit styles.
https://www.fnal.gov/pub/takefive/pdfs/D..._Chart.pdf
My drill press has a chart on the inside for both wood and metal. Other than that, bigger = slower, and smaller = faster. Make sure they are sharp. If you are setting off the smoke alarm, probably dull...

robo hippy
There's a science behind it. Type of material your drilling- soft wood, hard wood, standard metal, hard metal, tempered metal, brass, aluminum, copper, bit size, bit type, bit material. You can find online charts.

My large DP is set around 800 rpm for most uses. The small drill press I use small bits on is set at 2,000 rpm for most uses.

You may try this chart. http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/p...dchart.pdf
fread here, thank you
My drill press has a dozen or so speeds by changing which shives on the pulleys the belt rides on. It has been on the slowest for several years now. Too much trouble to change it for a few holes.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
First

A most hearty welcome and really hope you stick around and show us what you are doing.

One other thing about drilling wood is make sure you eject the chips often or the blank can break due to heat or expansion of the chips inside the flutes of the bit.  I usually drill an inch and bring up the bit and clear the wood and maybe even more in bigger bits.
Last before you go thru the end maybe either reverse the blank or make the blank bigger so it does not blow a big hole out the back side.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.