A couple of useful tips
(02-10-2017, 09:30 AM)mdhills Wrote: Does microwave on low work to soften wax?

and how long does it remain even?
(It often seems that putty will eventually end up less even -- either due to contraction of the putty, or movement of the wood)

Matt

I didn't try to heat the wax directly in the microwave; I'm not sure that would be a good idea but that's just a guess.  I put it in a cup with water and let the water heat up.  Maybe some of the energy went into the wax directly; no clue. 

After 10 minutes or so it was pretty pliable and I could easily scoop out dabs of it with a screw driver and putty the holes.  It stayed soft enough to continue doing that for at least 5 minutes.  I did the entire side of the arched doors before it got a little too hard to easily use.  But I had another chunk in the water ready to go, so I just grabbed it and continued with the other side of the doors. 

John
I have one of those mason's bags, Steve, not as nice as the one you showed, however.  I just find the thing very messy to use, probably because I've never practiced with it.  The caulking tube idea just seemed a lot easier and less messy for me.  But if I were faced with doing miles of similar gaps I could justify whatever learning would be needed to learn how to load and use the bag without making a mess of it. 

John
John that isn't a Mason bag, they are too rough, and crudely made, that is one for decorating cakes.
Big Grin I imagine at the time I got mine it was high end, but I got it at an auction for 50 cents IIRC.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(02-11-2017, 04:19 PM)Steve N Wrote: John that isn't a Mason bag, they are too rough, and crudely made, that is one for decorating cakes.
Big Grin  I imagine at the time I got mine it was high end, but I got it at an auction for 50 cents IIRC.

Makes sense; my mason's bag is a pretty crude affair as you said.  So, another way to skin the cat - or fill the crack.  My 5 cats are all looking at me suspiciously now.  

John
For somewhere in the neighbourhood of $15, you can buy a jerky gun. Check them out.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(02-13-2017, 12:11 AM)blackhat Wrote: For somewhere in the neighbourhood of $15, you can buy a jerky gun. Check them out.

I think versus the cost of a new, very nice cake decorating bag in todays $$$$$ I'd be getting a Jerky gun if I was starting out again
No Thankfully I don't do enough drywall work anymore to worry much about it
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW