Leg options
I'm about to start a bedroom suite for my daughter. She wants walnut and the design is calling for 3" posts. Since I can't find anything that thick around here I'll be gluing up the posts. I see 2 options.

Option 1 - Glue 2 8/4 walnut pieces together and then glue a 1/8" - 1/4" piece on the sides with the seams.
or
Option 2 - Glue up a cheaper wood like poplar for a core and then glue walnut to the outsides.

The second option is cheaper since I won't need as much thick stock but is there any advantage to option 1?

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
Option 3: bevel all the edges of walnut and glue up the posts. Basically leaving the middle hollow. Like how they make legs for craftsman pieces so they show 1/4sawn on all faces. Not sure if that would work with your joinery though.

Of options 1 and 2 I would go with number one because it will probably be less work.
-Marc

option 3 glue more thinner (cheaper than thick) stock together then cover up the gluelines 

It matters not if there is one glue line or 5 if you do it this way 

On option 2 if I was overlaying I would not even bother with solid stock I would just use ply or MDF 

JMO/E

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Joe,

Your suggestion makes a good point. I can put the less than stellar pieces inside and have less waste. And the movement would all match.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
Option 3A, a modification of WaterlooMarc's suggestion: make hollow legs of 3/4" walnut using a lock miter bit on your router table. The lock miter joint is very strong and, unlike a plain miter joint, clamping is a snap. The glue lines run along the corners so they all but disappear. All the boards are face grain, so there's no worry about grain orientation. The setup for lock miter bits is a little fiddly, but once you get it dialed in, you can run all your leg stock at once and you're done.

[Image: IMG_1829_zpsphkejrhp.png]
Hank,

Thanks. I've used lock miters on other projects.

[Image: Jake_fl_s_170359_zpssjmtyb4b.jpg]

[Image: Altar_front__square_4136-s.jpg]

I'd like to try something else for this project.

Cliff
Charles Bukowski
I believe the hollow leg option would be problematical for a leg with connecting joinery. Strength of joinery might be compromised.
On a Stickley morris chair they glue mitered pieces around a center post. The leg comes up through the arm so you can see the joinery. It allows quartersawn figure on all four sides.