What's a good use for a standard angle block plane?
Have a few of each....

Half & Half...

I use whatever is handiest at the time. 

I can also do a round over in a few minutes, trim a long dovetail,Trim the edges on a screen door.  They work every bit as good as them Fancy-schmansy bronze thingys, IF you keep them sharp.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
If you're really good with a block plane, you can also do this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vJIzkIc_wIU
Jump to 4:49 through 5:05
Smile
I have a couple of homemade wooden block planes. Nice for edge treatments (bevels or rounding), leveling hand cut dovetails, leveling small mismatches where faceframe rails meet stiles. Even use them as smoothers sometimes.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(02-16-2017, 09:46 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: If you're really good with a block plane, you can also do this

Smile

Interesting, I'm assuming this is aluminum.  No reason a block can't be used for that.  Would dull the iron a bit, however.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Well, he claims it's D3, but I kinda doubt it.
(02-16-2017, 09:46 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: If you're really good with a block plane, you can also do this

Smile

The steel was in the annealed state.  Much, much softer than when heat treated, which is what he does later in the video.  No mystery on why the hardened plane blade can cut the steel.  Tool steels are all machined or cut in the annealed state prior to heat treating.  That's how it's done.  Pretty cool to see shavings of tool steel, though.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I think you can do almost any type planing with a block plane...except end grain.
Jerry
I think I am kind of a guy who tries things.  I have even used it for end grain but skewed and it does pretty good or maybe OK.  So maybe  it is just a quirk but it worked for me and it will work for anything else too.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Friend of mine was telling me today he was using standards Stanley block plane with a Hock blade for making bamboo fly rods. A low angle would dig into the fibers. Bamboo is a grass and is hard after tempering.
(02-22-2017, 05:24 PM)RonL Wrote: Friend of mine was telling me today he was using standards Stanley block plane with a Hock blade for making bamboo fly rods. A low angle would dig into the fibers. Bamboo is a grass and is hard after tempering.

LN used to, and maybe still does, provide a specialized milled groove in the sole of block planes for making fly rods.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis