PALS
(03-14-2017, 03:51 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: what does a dial caliper cost?

This one will work fine for that purpose. Use a 20% coupon and get it for $16.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
and pull this thing apart, or do what with it?  there's no way holding it between the miter slot and the blade will give you that accurate of a measurement.  In the video, these guys are trying to narrow down into the thousandths... i think just holding the caliper with your hand could throw it off by thousandths.
This is what you are looking for. Mount it on a piece of wood then clamp it to your miter gauge. People said how nice cabinet saws are to adjust versus contractor saws. I got PALS for my contractor saw and thought this is easy. I then upgraded to a cabinet saw. A contractor saw with PALS is the easiest most precise way to adjust a table saw. I hope I never have to adjust the cabinet saw again.
As I said, you make a miter runner and then clamp the dial caliper to it. The jig holds it in place, and you run the finger up to a tooth. Then slid the jig to the other side and measure the same tooth. Or lock the finger in place on the tooth at one spot, and then slide it to the other and see if it still touches. You can also make this with a dial indicator, and it does the same thing (sort of). Take a look at this, it's the one I made.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I made the same rig fredhargis is using.  It works great and is really easy to build and use.  Not to mention it is very slim so it stores easy.